Heavy snowfall blocks national highway in KashmirFebruary 6th, 2009 - 7:46 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb. 6 (ANI): The Jammu-Srinagar National Highway was blocked on Friday due to the heaviest snowfall in Kashmir in recent years. Snowfall has brought the traffic movement to a standstill.
The strategic 300-kilometre-long Highway is the valley’’s only connection with rest of the country.
Hundreds of trucks and other vehicles going either way remained stranded on the highway due to the accumulation of snow.
No provision of food, no bedding is available here. Nobody has come here to whom we can tell our problem, said Jarnail Singh, a truck driver.
The heavy snowfall that started on Thursday evening led for the closing of the highway for the vehicular traffic.
The highway closed yesterday at four in the evening. There is no provision of food or facilities to stay here. Government has sent no help here and roads are all blocked we cannot proceed forward, said Ramesh Kumar, a passenger.
The Srinagar-Jammu highway passes through some of the trickiest mountain terrains in the Pir Panjal mountain range of Kashmir.
The road gets blocked every time there is heavy snowfall or landslides due to heavy rains. (ANI)
- Jammu-Kashmir Highway closed due to fresh snowfall - Feb 24, 2009
- Srinagar's night temperature rises above freezing point - Feb 03, 2012
- One-way traffic on Jammu-Srinagar highway (With Images) - Jan 11, 2012
- Fresh snowfall blocks Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 06, 2012
- Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway - Aug 04, 2012
- Snowy day forecast in Kashmir Valley, mountains - Dec 19, 2011
- Severe cold wave in Kashmir - Jan 18, 2012
- One-way traffic likely on Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 20, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed due to landslides - Feb 24, 2011
- Kashmir still shivers, Gulmarg coldest at minus 10 - Feb 10, 2011
- Heavy snowfall lashes Kashmir - Jan 15, 2012
- Over 1,200 stranded passengers ferried by IAF (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Dec 30, 2010
- Srinagar-Jammu highway open for one-way traffic - Jan 22, 2012
- Jammu-Srinagar highway opened again to traffic (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: accumulation, bedding, country hundreds, heavy rains, heavy snowfall, jammu, jarnail singh, kashmir, landslides, New Delhi, other vehicles, pir panjal, provision, standstill, terrains, traffic movement, trucks, vehicular traffic