Heavy rains, snow force shutdown of JK highway for third dayMarch 3rd, 2011 - 5:24 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, Mar.3 (ANI): The Jammu- Srinagar National Highway, that connects the Kashmir Valley with the rest of the country, remained shut for the third consecutive day on Thursday following heavy rains, snowfall and landslides.
The highway was closed on March 1 following landslides in Shetani Nallah. All essential supplies to the Kashmir Valley are routed through this highway.
GM Wadoo, Traffic Police Superintendent (Rural), said: ” There has been fresh snowfall near the Bannihal Tunnel of the Srinagar-Jammu Highway. Over one foot of snow has accumulated on the road in this sector.”
” No traffic has been allowed between Jammu and Srinagar due to the snowfall he said, adding that heavy rainfall had triggered landslides at five or six places along the 300 kilometer long highway.”
Wadoo said that workers of the Border Road Organisation (BRO) clearing the highway, and so far, over 200 vehicles have passed through.
The highway was first closed on February 24, but reopened after two days.
The weather department has predicted rains for the next 24 hours in the region. (ANI)
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed due to fresh snowfall - Mar 03, 2011
- Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway again - Feb 22, 2012
- Fresh snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Apr 05, 2011
- One-way traffic likely on Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 20, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed due to landslides - Feb 24, 2011
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed for second day - Feb 05, 2012
- Snow closes Srinagar-Jammu national highway - Jan 08, 2011
- Kashmir cut off for third day, snowfall stops (With Images) - Jan 17, 2012
- Snow cripples Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 13, 2012
- Snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Dec 30, 2010
- Fresh snowfall blocks Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 06, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway - Aug 04, 2012
- Traffic restored on Jammu-Srinagar highway - Dec 09, 2011
- Srinagar-Jammu highway re-opened to traffic - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: border road, bro, foot of snow, gm, heavy rains, kashmir, kashmir valley, landslides, march 1, police superintendent, rainfall, shetani, snowfall, third day, traffic police, wadoo, weather department