Heavy rains halt Amarnath pilgrimageJuly 6th, 2008 - 3:01 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 6 (IANS) The passage to the holy Amarnath cave was suspended Sunday following heavy rains on both the north and the south Kashmir routes to the 3,888 metre high Himalayan shrine. “All pilgrims scheduled to undertake the 12-km long trek from the Baltal base camp to the cave have been halted at Baltal because of heavy rains and extremely slippery conditions on the track,” a police officer told IANS here.
The officer also said the helicopter services for the pilgrims from the Baltal base camp to the cave could also not be operated Sunday because of the inclement weather.
Reports from the south Kashmir Pahalgam route also said heavy rains had forced the authorities to halt the pilgrims at the Nunwan base camp.
“The decision to allow the pilgrims to proceed to the cave from the two base camps would only be taken after the weather improves,” the police officer said.
T.K. Jotshi, assistant director of the weather office here, told IANS: “The Kashmir Valley is going to have rains for the next two days with intermittent let-ups.
“This is mainly the monsoon effect though it is also accompanied by a mild Western disturbance.”
Despite the forest land allotment controversy to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB), which raged in the valley for nearly a fortnight and still shows no signs of dying down in the Jammu region, a record number of around 300,000 pilgrims have so far performed the pilgrimage to the high altitude shrine.
In comparison to this, last year only 250,000 pilgrims had performed the faith journey during the entire two-month period.
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Snow hits Amarnath Yatra preparations in Kashmir - Jun 14, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weather - Jul 22, 2010
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jul 30, 2010
- 18,000 pilgrims proceed towards Amarnath cave shrine - Jun 30, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
Tags: amarnath cave, base camps, faith journey, forest land, heavy rains, helicopter services, high altitude, inclement weather, jammu region, kashmir valley, land allotment, long trek, pahalgam, pilgrims, sasb, shri, shrine board, slippery conditions, weather office, weather reports