Heavy rainfall disrupts normal life in UttarakhandAugust 18th, 2009 - 6:52 pm ICT by ANI
Pipalkothi (Uttarakhand), Aug 18 (ANI): Heavy rainfall disrupted normal life and triggered landslide along National Highway-58 in Uttarakhand.
Due to the impact of the landslide, huge boulders started rolling down the hill slopes blocking Rishikesh-Badrinath National Highway also known as NH-58.
This caused disruption in traffic and caused a lot of problems for the tourists and the devotees.
Avtaar Singh, a devotee from Amritsar who was visiting Gurudwara Hemkunt Sahib in the Himalayas, said that he faced a lot of problems because of the bad roads.
“On the way, we faced a lot of problems. The roads are broken. Rocks are lying on the road. We had to get down on the way and cross the roads,” said Singh.
Uttarakhand Disaster Management Minister Khajaan Das said: “The district officials have been directed to act if there is a natural calamity. There should not be any kind of laxity.”
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) who has been entrusted with responsibility of maintaining the NH-58 continues the rescue work with heavy machines and bulldozers clearing off the debris from the road. (ANI)
- Rains block Jammu-Srinagar highway, many stranded - Aug 22, 2012
- Northeast road-rail links snapped, situation worsens - Jul 16, 2012
- Massive landslide kills at least five people in Siliguri - Aug 16, 2009
- Dehradun landslides leave tourists stranded - Sep 20, 2010
- Heavy rains, snow force shutdown of JK highway for third day - Mar 03, 2011
- Landslide blocks National Highway in Sikkim - Sep 01, 2010
- One-way traffic likely on Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 20, 2012
- Landslide cuts off Mizoram, Manipur and Tripura - Jul 15, 2012
- Uttarakhand Govt. advisory asks pilgrims not to visit Badrinath - Jul 20, 2009
- Rains, floods kill 115 in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand - Aug 19, 2011
- Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway again - Feb 22, 2012
- Landslides block Batote-Kishtwar Highway - May 21, 2010
- On highway to Shimla? Be ready for rough ride - Aug 16, 2010
- Heavy rainfall triggers landslide, blocks traffic on NH 55 - Aug 07, 2010
- Rain kills six in Uttarakhand, pilgrimage halted - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: amritsar, border roads, boulders, bro, bulldozers, debris, devotee, devotees, disaster management, disruption, district officials, hill slopes, himalayas, landslide, natural calamity, rainfall, rocks, sahib, tourists, traffic