Heavy rain claims 28 lives in Tamil NaduNovember 26th, 2008 - 4:28 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Nov.26 (ANI): Four days of heavy downpour has brought life in Tamil Nadu to a complete standstill killing at least 28 people. Continous rain along with strong and gusty wind worsened the situation on Wednesday.
A low pressure area over south -western Bay of Bengal is stated to be the reason for the cyclonic rains .The Meteorological department has forecast rains at many place across the state, heavy to very heavy rains at a few places during the next 24 hours.
A special bulletin released by the weather department said here that the area of deep depression is centered around 50 kilometres south-east of Vedaranyam in the Bay of Bengal. It is expected to move in a north-westerly direction across the coastal Tamil Nadu near Vedaranyam further worsening the situation here.
Water level in all the dams and lakes in the state is on rise which is further increasing the fear of flash floods. People residing in low lying areas have been evacuated to safer places and fishermen have been advised not to venture out in the deep sea for any marine activities.
The district administration of all the affected areas are on high alert. The District Collectors have asked the Public Works and Revenue department staff to remain on high alert round- the- clock to handle any emergency. Meanwhile, patrolling around the coastal area has been intensified. (ANI)
- Odisha fishermen warned against going into sea - Aug 18, 2012
- Relief for coastal Andhra as cyclone threat dissipates - Nov 08, 2010
- Cyclonic storm 'Jal' moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil Nadu - Nov 06, 2010
- Depression over Bay of Bengal, fishermen alerted - Oct 19, 2011
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Rain-battered coastal Andhra braces for cyclone - Nov 04, 2010
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Andhra coast faces cyclone threat, alert sounded - May 17, 2010
- Orissa fishermen warned against going into rough sea - Aug 29, 2011
- Alert in Andhra as cyclone threatens coast - Nov 06, 2010
- Heavy rain, gale in south coastal Andhra - Dec 30, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Tamil Nadu gears up for cyclone Thane (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Two killed, crops damaged as rains lash Andhra - Dec 07, 2010
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: bay of bengal, coastal area, cyclonic, dams, deep sea, department staff, district administration, fishermen, flash floods, gusty wind, heavy downpour, heavy rain, heavy rains, kilometres, meteorological department, standstill, vedaranyam, water level, weather department, westerly direction