Heavy devotee rush forces Amarnath Yatra suspensionJune 25th, 2008 - 5:25 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 25 (ANI): The ongoing Amarnath Yatra was suspended today due to the heavy rush of devotees.
According to officials, devotees are not being allowed to proceed from the base camp at Bhagwati Nagar here, as there is a heavy rush from the base camps at Pahalgam and Baltal in Jammu and Kashmir’s Ganderbal District.
Over 283,000 pilgrims have already reached the shrine.
The pilgrimage was suspended on Tuesday after a part of a glacier caved in at Sangam that links Pahalgam and Baltal.
The pilgrimage ends on August 16.
Security forces have been on a high alert along the entire pilgrimage route to ensure the safety of the pilgrims.
The security setup consists of area domination and setting up of mountain posts by Army, deployments of CRPF and mobile patrolling by armed police.
Every year, a large number of devotees trek the steep, slippery 48-kilometres route to reach the Amarnath cave shrine, which stands at a height of nearly 12,500 feet above sea level. (ANI)
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- 18,000 pilgrims proceed towards Amarnath cave shrine - Jun 30, 2011
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jul 30, 2010
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weather - Jul 04, 2010
- Chopper fares slashed for Amarnath pilgrims - Apr 04, 2012
- 600,000 pilgrims perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 25, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath yatra, armed police, army deployments, base camps, crpf, devotees, domination, feet above sea level, glacier, heavy rush, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kilometres, pahalgam, pilgrimage route, pilgrims, sangam, security forces, security setup