Hearing in Babri demolition case postponed till Nov. 18October 26th, 2010 - 5:58 pm ICT by ANI
Rae Barely, Oct 26 (ANI): A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court on Tuesday fixed November 18 as the next date of hearing in the Babri mosque demolition case.
“On the request of defence counsel Hari Dutt Sharma seeking adjournment on personal grounds, Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Vishnu Prasad Agarwal posted the matter for further hearing on November 18,” the prosecution said today.
The defence reportedly moved one more application seeking the court’s status in connection with some accused in the case, which was argued by the CBI counsel.
It has been reported that senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Anju Gupta, who was deployed as security officer with Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L K Advani on December 6, 1992, and is a key witness in the case appeared before the court.
The hearing in the case had resumed after a gap of more than three months following nomination of ACJM Agarwal by the High Court.
There was no judge in the court due to transfer of CJM Gulab Singh prior to his nomination.
A three-judge bench of the Allahabad High Court ruled on September 30 that the Ramlala idol would remain on the disputed land in Ayodhya, deeming it Lord Ram’s birthplace.
The court divided the 2.77 acre disputed site among three parties: the Sunni Waqf Board; the Nirmohi Akhara and the party representing ‘Ram Lala Virajman’.
The 8000-page verdict came after nearly 60 years of litigation on the title dispute.
The Sunni Waqf Board has, however, expressed dissatisfaction with the judgement and decided to file an appeal in the Supreme Court against the Ayodhya verdict.
The demolition of the 16th century mosque had triggered widespread communal riots across the country. (ANI)
- Babri mosque demolition case deferred, next hearing on Oct. 26 - Oct 05, 2010
- Rashtrawadi Shiv Sena demands construction of Ram Mandir in Ayodhya - Oct 25, 2010
- Apex court admits plea against Ayodhya verdict (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Akhara Parishad's Mahant Gyandas slams BJP leader Vinay Katiyar for mosque remarks - Oct 16, 2010
- People across Uttar Pradesh cautiously welcome mosque verdict - Oct 01, 2010
- Ali Sena activists protest against Ayodhya verdict in New Delhi - Oct 17, 2010
- Hindus, Muslims welcome apex court view on Ayodhya - May 09, 2011
- Ayodhya verdict:Allahabad High Court gives ownership of disputed land to all three factions - Sep 30, 2010
- Three key parties in Babri mosque title suit meet to discuss solution - Oct 09, 2010
- Apex court stays 'strange, surprising' Babri verdict (Intro Roundup) - May 09, 2011
- Ayodhya litigant Ansari to move Supreme Court - Feb 13, 2011
- Sunni Waqf Board moves apex court against Ayodhya order (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Factsheet: Timeline of the Ayodhya Dispute - May 09, 2011
- Supreme Court stays 'strange' Babri Masjid verdict (Roundup) - May 09, 2011
- RSS 'happy' about verdict on Ayodhya - May 09, 2011
Tags: adjournment, allahabad high court, anju, ayodhya, babri mosque, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, communal riots, defence counsel, dissatisfaction, gulab, gupta, indian police service, janata party, judicial magistrate, key witness, l k advani, lord ram, security officer, title dispute