HC defers hearing on plea on declaration of judges assetsFebruary 27th, 2009 - 6:39 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 27 (ANI): The Delhi High Court on Friday deferred hearing on a petition filed by the Supreme Court challenging a Central Information Commission (CIC) order directing that assets of the judges should be made public.
Justice S. Ravinder Bhat adjourned the matter and posted it for further hearing on March 17.
The Supreme Court in its affidavit had said declaration of assets by its judges to the Chief Justice is personal information, which cannot be revealed under the Right to Information Act.
In its affidavit the apex court made it clear that its judges are not opposed to declaring their assets but there is no legal obligation to do so.
The seven-page affidavit was filed in response to a reply of an RTI applicant who pleaded that all information given to CJI comes within public domain and that he cannot be denied such information.
The apex court had said the judges are not averse to declaring their assets but there should be a proper law with proper safeguard to prevent misuse of such information.
The Court had on January 19 stayed the order of the CIC that the office of Chief Justice of India comes within the ambit of the RTI Act and information given to CJI has to be revealed to the RTI applicant. (ANI)
- Chronology of judges' assets case - Jan 12, 2010
- Supreme Court judges ready to declare assets, but with riders - Mar 17, 2009
- Apex court moves Delhi High Court against judges' assets (Third lead) - Oct 05, 2009
- 'Judges not to be treated as people's representatives' - Mar 24, 2009
- Information not at the cost of judiciary's independence: apex court - Nov 12, 2009
- Delhi High Court putting CJI in RTI ambit will invite apex court scrutiny - Jan 12, 2010
- The year apex court judges declared their assets (Flashback 2009) - Dec 29, 2009
- CJI within the purview of RTI, rules Delhi High Court (Second Lead) - Sep 02, 2009
- High court stays information panel's order on judges' assets - Jan 19, 2009
- Apex court restores powers of transparency panel chief - Oct 18, 2010
- Transparency panel's order on Supreme Court cases stayed (Lead) - Sep 13, 2011
- Bringing CJI under RTI: Apex court appeals verdict - Mar 08, 2010
- Apex court shelves CIC order on judicial appointment - Dec 04, 2009
- Activists hail high court ruling on RTI purview - Sep 02, 2009
- Donations by president: Information panel's order stayed - May 29, 2012
Tags: affidavit, ambit, apex, apex court, bhat, chief justice of india, cic, delhi high court, information commission, january 19, legal obligation, march 17, New Delhi, plea, public domain, public justice, ravinder, right to information act, rti act, safeguard