Hazare needs good politicians by his side: SwamyApril 19th, 2011 - 8:40 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Apr 19 (ANI): Janata Party President and telecom scam petitioner Subramanian Swamy on Tuesday said veteran social activist Anna Hazare is surrounded by bogus NGOs, and added that he needs good politicians by his side.
“Unfortunately, being a non-political, he is surrounded by these NGO (Non-Governmental Organisations) types who are all bogus. He needs some good politicians to help him,” Swamy told mediapersons here.
Further praising Hazare, Swamy said he is a highly respected, simple, and straightforward person, and a complete nationalist who has done wonderful work in his village.
Swamy also called the government’s Lokpal Bill as bogus.
“I don’t know what will come out of this thing. I don’t think there can be an agreement to give up sanction and therefore I don’t see any fruitful purpose. It has to come a public issue for the next Lok Sabha elections,” he added.
Following 73-year-old Hazare’s five-day long hunger strike, the government issued a gazette notification constituting a 10-member Joint Committee of Ministers and civil society activists, including him, to draft an effective Lok Pal Bill.
The notification by the Ministry of Law and Justice said the Joint Drafting Committee to prepare a draft of the Lok Pal Bill will have five ministers from the government and five nominees of Hazare, including himself.
The five Ministers are Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Chairperson, Home Minister P Chidamabaram, Law Minister Veerappa Moily (Convenor), HRD Minister Kapil Sibal and Water Resources Minister Salman Khurshid.
The civil society will be represented by Hazare, former Supreme Court judge N Santosh Hegde, former Law Minister Shanti Bhushan (Co-Chairperson), lawyer Prashant Bhushan and RTI activist Arvind Kejriwal.
The notification said the Joint Drafting Committee will commence work forthwith evolving its own procedure to prepare the proposed legislation. The committee shall complete its work latest by June 30. (ANI)
- Civil society activists to declare assets - Apr 15, 2011
- Hazare aims to reach out to people over Lokpal Bill - Apr 10, 2011
- Drafting of Lokpal Bill requires legal expertise, says Shanti Bhushan - Apr 10, 2011
- Lokpal Bill panel: Ramdev seems to have misunderstanding, says Hazare - Apr 10, 2011
- Ramdev to exert 'moral pressure' on Lokpal Bill's drafting committee - Apr 13, 2011
- Lokpal bill draft to be ready by June 30, says Veerappa Moily - Apr 10, 2011
- Drafting of Lokpal Bill to be videographed, says Anna Hazare - Apr 10, 2011
- Allahabad High Court issues notice to Centre over Lokpal Bill - Apr 20, 2011
- Lokpal Bill drafting committee to meet today - Apr 16, 2011
- What does the government's gazette notification say? - Apr 09, 2011
- Hazare fast: Deadlock over Lokpal Bill likely to end tomorrow - Apr 08, 2011
- Central Government issues official notification for committee to redraft Ombudsman bill - Apr 09, 2011
- CD controversy rages, Bhushans to move apex court (Roundup) - Apr 18, 2011
- Controversies will not affect working of Lokpal panel: Mukherjee (lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- Govt. serious on tackling corruption: Pranab Mukherjee - Apr 10, 2011
Tags: bhushan, civil society activists, drafting committee, former supreme court judge, gazette notification, home minister, hrd minister, hunger strike, janata party president, kapil sibal, law minister, lok pal bill, lok sabha elections, ministry of law, pranab mukherjee, social activist, straightforward person, supreme court judge, telecom scam, veerappa