Haryana needs women empowerment to stop female foeticideNovember 27th, 2010 - 9:03 pm ICT by ANI
By Dhirendra Kumar
Rohtak (Haryana), Nov.27 (ANI): Haryana Education Minister Geeta Bhukkal said here on Saturday women’s empowerment was needed in the State to stop female foeticide since the State’s sex ratio has dipped to 808 females for every 1,000 males.
The national sex ratio is 933 females for every 1,000 males.
“In Haryana, it is very necessary to impart the awareness about decreasing sex ratio. There are some genetic problems also and the government is very worried about this, and regarding this we celebrated Girl Day with Bhupinder Singh Hooda Haryana Chief Minister as the chief guest. We have programmes for the same and hope that there would be improvement in the scenario,” said Bhukkal.
The State’s Chief Medical Officer V. K. Govila said they have cracked down on clinics offering the service of pre-natal sex determination.
“We are trying to revive the Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act (PNTD Act), raids are being made more effective. We have also cancelled one ultrasound centre and have given notices to two other centers. We have debarred the operator’s of the ultrasound clinics,” said Govila.
“In Rohtak, currently there are 808 girls for 1000 boys,” he added. (ANI)
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- 23 Haryana doctors convicted for gender tests - Nov 24, 2010
- Rajasthan doctor booked for female foeticide - Nov 02, 2011
- Body of newborn girl found - Mar 27, 2012
- Newborn girl found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jul 07, 2011
- Girl's foetus found in Rajasthan town - Apr 20, 2012
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- Haryana to install chips to monitor ultrasound machines - May 18, 2012
- This summer, Kashmir to fight murderers of another kind - May 19, 2011
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Post 'Satyamev Jayate' Aamir to meet Gehlot - May 07, 2012
- Rajasthan jolted into action on skewed child sex ratio - Apr 11, 2011
- Sex detection rampant in Delhi: NGO - Jun 23, 2011
- Court asks Rajasthan to explain action against female child killing - Mar 30, 2012
- 'Urgent need to restore gender balance in J&K;' - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: bhupinder singh, chief guest, chief minister, diagnostic techniques, education minister, female foeticide, females, geeta, genetic problems, girl day, girls, medical officer, national sex, rohtak, sex determination, sex ratio, ultrasound