Haryana farmers welcome farm loan waiverApril 3rd, 2009 - 5:46 pm ICT by ANI
By Dherender Kumar
Rohtak (Haryana), Apr 3 (ANI): Farmers in Rohtak District of Haryana have expressed happiness after their farm loans worth rupees 2108.46 crores were waived off recently.
“My loan worth rupees 50,000 was waived. The government has taken a good decision. Otherwise, the farmers cannot cover all their expenditures, as the earnings are not enough. We also have to spend on our children’s education,” said Surendra Singh, a farmer.
The farm loan waiver scheme aims at enabling the beneficiary farmers to apply for fresh loans. In Haryana, almost 6.64 lakh farmers have benefited from the scheme.
Another farmer Ramdiya added, “It is a very good thing, otherwise farmers with no means would have been compelled to commit suicide. But because the loans were waived, they can fend for their other needs. It is quite relieving for the farmers.”
The Congress-led Central Government had in May 2008 raised the total amount of farm loan waiver to Rs.716.8 billion from the Rs.600 billion, which was set aside by P. Chidambaram in the budget announced in February 2008.
In the past, farmers have been forced to commit suicide due to various reasons such as low produce, drought, distress selling and inability to repay their loans.
The loan waiver scheme has been welcomed by farmers not just in Haryana, but in the whole country.
The farmers are happy that they will not be under pressure about repayment of loans to the banks or to the moneylenders.
Agriculture in India continues to be highly labour intensive and supports nearly 60 per cent of the one billion-plus population. (ANI)
- Villagers of Maharashtra overwhelmed by farm loan waivers - Mar 31, 2009
- Farmers incur crop loss due to rain, snowfall in Haryana district - Oct 24, 2010
- Dowry system fuelling farmers' suicides in Vidarbha - May 20, 2012
- Rajasthan launches interest-free loan for farmers - Jul 22, 2012
- Rs.38.72 bn interest for banks on waived off farm loan - Oct 03, 2008
- Congress, BSP responsible for Bundelkhand farmers' suicides: BJP - May 31, 2011
- Haryana, Punjab farmers to get Rs.31 bn loan waiver - Jun 27, 2008
- BJP stages protest to highlight farmer's plight - Jun 14, 2008
- Drought-hit Karnataka waives interest on farm loans - Aug 23, 2012
- Amid monsoon worry, interest-free loan for Rajasthan farmers - Jul 29, 2012
- Farmers warn stir will continue till all loans waived (Lead) - Aug 04, 2008
- Farmers block rail, road traffic in Punjab - Dec 08, 2011
- Maharashtra proposes interest-free crop loans - Mar 23, 2011
- Tamil Nadu announces loan waiver, welfare measures - Jan 06, 2010
- Farm loan waiver scheme a success: Chidambaram - Jul 02, 2008
Tags: agriculture in india, beneficiary, central government, crores, drought, earnings, expenditures, farm loan, farm loans, farmers, happiness, haryana, labour, one billion, p chidambaram, rohtak, rupees, s education, suicide, surendra singh