Hamid Ansari says vocational training must for employabilityMarch 2nd, 2009 - 6:58 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 2 (ANI): Vice President Hamid Ansari today stressed the need for providing vocational training and skill development to increase employability.
Delivering the Zakir Husain Memorial lecture in here, Ansari highlighted the need to reorganize and reorient the country’’s fragmented vocational education system.
He suggested that in addition to the traditional functioning, teaching, research and leadership training, universities need to pay attention to community service and adult education.
Regretting that the structure of the formal vocational training system in the country is geared towards the educated, he said that access to as well as scope of vocational training has to be expanded and improved.
“Efforts towards vocational training must be geared towards increasing employability in the organised sector and improving the quality of jobs in the unorganized sector,” he added.
He said that the Draft National Employment Policy issued last year calls for linking skill training with the educational system and offering vocational education as an option at high school level of Grade nine.
“We need to reorganize and reorient our fragmented vocational educational system that is currently spread over 17 different organisations and departments. We also need to ensure the framework of skill standards, assessment and certifications that allows for mobility of credits and qualifications,” he added.
He said our accreditation and certification norms must align with global standards to empower our work force seeking employment abroad. (ANI)
- Human resources most powerful tools for economic development: Mallikarjun Kharge - Apr 07, 2011
- Hamid Ansari calls for more funds for State Universities to improve higher education - Dec 20, 2010
- National vocational education project launched in Haryana - Sep 03, 2012
- 'Education system not keeping pace with evolving technology' - Sep 06, 2012
- Programme to train 150 million school drop-outs - Oct 08, 2011
- Indian, Australian institutes sign pact - Nov 16, 2011
- Assam joins Pearson Group for skill training in schools - Jul 21, 2012
- 'Construction equipment industry needs more skilled workforce' - Nov 26, 2011
- Declare 2012 as year of 'Proud to be Skilled Indian' (Comment) - Dec 25, 2011
- Government to set up 10 community colleges for skill development - Sep 06, 2012
- Vocational courses for school students planned - Oct 20, 2010
- Coming up, 100 more skill development centres - May 25, 2012
- For women, a crash course in job skills - Jan 12, 2012
- State universities need more funds: Ansari - Dec 21, 2010
- Text of PM'S Independence Day Speech - Aug 15, 2011
Tags: adult education, ansari, education system, educational system, employment policy, global standards, leadership training, memorial lecture, national employment, New Delhi, norms, seeking employment, skill development, skill standards, skill training, teaching research, unorganized sector, vocational education, vocational training, zakir husain