Haleem eating competition draws crowds in HyderabadNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:58 am ICT by admin
The contestants were given two kilograms of vegetarian haleem in three boxes.
The winner of the competition was Mohammad Saleem who managed to eat two ilograms of Haleem in 30 seconds.
“I am feeling really good. They gave us two minutes to finish it but I don’t know in how much time I finished that much,” said Saleem.
An eatery in the city, called ‘Pista House’, started organising this competition in 2003 with vegetarian versions of Haleem during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
The owner of eatery said he organised the competition despite recent terror attacks in the city to ease tension among residents.
“We have organised this competition to make people feel a little relaxed,” said M. A. Majeed, organiser of the competition.
Haleem, a preparation that has its roots in the Arabia, is the most sought after dish during Ramadan.
During the holy month of Ramadan, Muslims observe a day-long fast without water and end it in the evening, by partaking water and dates.
Ramadan, the ninth month of the Hijri lunar calendar, commemorates the revelation of the Holy Quran, and has traditionally been a time of religious fervour, settling old disputes and behaving charitably towards neighbours.(ANI)
- Famous Hyderabadi Haleem set to get GI tag - Sep 02, 2010
- Sale of festive haleem dish picks up during Ramadan in Hyderabad - Aug 23, 2010
- Haleem gets Geographical Indication status - Sep 07, 2010
- Old Hyderabad never sleeps for Eid shopping (Letter from Hyderabad) - Aug 16, 2012
- Ramzan begins in Hyderabad - Aug 01, 2011
- Fish to brinjal fry...take your pick at Puja (Feature) - Oct 03, 2011
- It's time to be in Hyderabad -- for Eid shopping! - Aug 28, 2011
- Ramadan begins amid prayers in Kashmir - Jul 21, 2012
- After acting, its food business for Yash Sinha - Jan 30, 2012
- 200-year-old Ka'aba shroud goes on display in UAE - Aug 07, 2011
- Fishy business: Mobile fish parlours flourish in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 18, 2012
- Kashmiris love their mutton, all 51,000 tonnes of it! - Jul 27, 2011
- Mutton becomes bone of contention in Kashmir - Apr 20, 2011
- Gaiety marks Eid in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2011
- Abu Dhabi sends five tonnes of dates to Saudi Arabia - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: competition draws, curd, eatery, eating competition, haleem, hijri, holy month of ramadan, holy quran, hyderabad, i don t know, lunar calendar, majeed, mohammad saleem, muslim holy, neighbours, organised, religious fervour, three boxes, vegetarian dish, vegetarian versions