Gursharan Kaur hosts a reception for smiling ”Pinky”February 27th, 2009 - 4:04 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 27 (ANI): After winning accolades at the Oscars, the little protagonist of Oscar winning documentary ”Smile Pinky” got a warm reception by the wife of Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
Gursharan Kaur hosted a reception for Pinky Sonkar and her father at her official residence on Friday to honour her Oscar win.
Perched safely in her father’’s arms, Pinky ducked shyly as the photographers urged her to smile for them.
Hailing from a nondescript village of Uttar Pradesh, the small wonder is being hailed as a hero by her villagers for striking gold young.
”Smile Pinky” is the story of a child with a lip deformity and was one of the four films nominated for best short documentary at the Academy Awards.
American filmmaker Megan Mylan’’s film ”Smile Pinky” depicts the saga of six-year-old Pinki Sonkar who had become a social outcast because of a cleft lip.
The 39-minute documentary traces Pinki’’s journey from being ostracized to being treated like a normal girl after a social worker helped her undergo a successful surgery. (ANI)
- Pinki of Oscar winning documentary wishes to be a surgeon - Feb 27, 2009
- Doordarshan to showcase 'Smile Pinki' on Sunday - Nov 10, 2009
- Oscar-famed Pinky gets grand welcome - Feb 28, 2009
- 'Smile Pinki' all set to be screened across India - Oct 02, 2009
- American virtuoso teaches violin to cleft-lipped children in Varanasi - May 12, 2010
- Villagers in UP celebrate after ''Smile Pinky'' bagged Oscars - Feb 23, 2009
- Oscar for best short documentary goes to India''s ''Smile Pinki'' - Feb 23, 2009
- Reality more fascinating than fiction: 'Smile Pinki' director - Nov 08, 2009
- Villagers in UP pray for success of ''Smile Pinky'' at Oscars - Feb 22, 2009
- 'Peepli Live' - will it make it to Oscars? - Dec 13, 2010
- Pinki will become a doctor, promises farmer father - Feb 27, 2009
- Oscar winner Pinki to be election mascot of National Dalit Front - Mar 07, 2009
- Oscar is for thousands of cleft-lipped Pinkis: surgeon - Feb 23, 2009
- Team of Oscar winning 'Smile Pinki' meets PM's wife - Feb 27, 2009
- Pinki makes her village 'smile' after wooing Oscar jury - Feb 23, 2009
Tags: academy awards, american filmmaker, cleft lip, documentary traces, dr manmohan singh, four films, gursharan kaur, honour, manmohan, manmohan singh, mylan, New Delhi, oscars, pinky, protagonist, small wonder, social outcast, social worker, uttar pradesh, warm reception