Gujjars stage protest rally in Delhi demanding Scheduled Tribe statusNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:22 am ICT by admin
“I am happy to see the success of the rally,” said Bainsla.
The Gujjars are annoyed that the Rajasthan Government extended the term of the Chopra Committee set up to look into the Gujjars’ demands by three months just before its expiry in September.
The protesters said that the government has just been buying time without doing anything meaningful for the community.
“They earlier asked for three months’ time. Then they extended it to three more months,” said Sukhbir Singh Jonapuria, a legislator and National President of Committee for Gujjars’ Reservation.
The Justice Jasraj Chopra Committee was appointed as per the agreement reached between the community and the State Government, to pacify the violent agitation by Gujjars in June.
The community members alleged that the Government has failed in providing adequate compensation to the families of victims of the police action during the June agitation.
“No member of the community has received any compensation, nor has any police official, who manhandled the protesters been suspended,” said Sukhbir Singh. (ANI)
- Gujjars intensify stir, put forward new demands to Rajasthan Government - Dec 25, 2010
- Gujjar agitation enters 14th day - Jan 02, 2011
- Gujjars call for Ajmer shutdown - Dec 27, 2010
- Government committed to reservation: Pilot tells Gujjars (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
- Gujjars call off protests, 17-day stir ends - Jan 06, 2011
- Talks stalled as Gujjars seek leaders' response (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Talks between Gujjars, Rajasthan government break down (Second Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Gujjars end quota agitation (Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Gujjar protest in Rajasthan hits rail traffic - Dec 21, 2010
- Gujjar leader Bainsla to meet Ashok Gehlot - Jan 04, 2011
- Gujjar talks drag, to continue Wednesday (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Gujjar leader ready to talk with Rajasthan govt. - Dec 30, 2010
- Gujjars end agitation, assured job quota (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Gujjars start returning home from rail tracks - Jan 06, 2011
- Gujjar agitation enters 9th day today - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: adequate compensation, agitation, been suspended, buying time, committee, community members, entire community, gujjar, legislator, manhandled, national president, pacify, police action, police official, protest rally, protesters, rajasthan government, stage protest, sukhbir, three months