Gujarat villages endure acute water shortageJune 14th, 2009 - 7:38 pm ICT by ANI
Vansi Borsi (Gujarat), June 14 (ANI): Residents of villages in the region of Vansi Borsi, a port town in Gujarat, are facing a severe shortage of water, even as the district authorities say the problem will be rectified soon.
At the break of dawn, villagers line up at wells to fill up their quota of water.
The scarcity of water has even upset the schedule of school-going children since they are busy in fetching water with no time to study or play.
“Because of water, we have not been able to concentrate on our studies. In the summer vacations, when others go out, we are here to fill water. It is a grave problem in the village,” noted Deepika Tandel, a village girl.
Some villagers also don’t even wait for dawn and start for the daily chore right from the wee hours of the night.
A few others gather around leaking water pipes to fill their containers.
This water scarcity has made life miserable for over 26 villages in and around Vansi Bonsi.
However, the district authorities, including the area legislator, said that they are working to address the problems faced by the villagers and hope to rectify the problems at the earliest.
Lakshman Patel, a legislator representing the Gandevi area, said: “We have been able to provide water to some villagers and will soon provide all of them with enough water.”
With availability of clean water being a common problem, the entire country waits eagerly for the monsoons for respite from soaring temperatures and water-related woes.
The monsoon is crucial to farm production. (ANI)
- Ludhiana teacher donates tubewell for Maharashtra's tribals (Environment Feature) (With Images) - Jun 27, 2012
- NGO commended for its environment conservation programmes in Gujarat - Jul 19, 2010
- Water shortage leaves Gujarat villagers thirsty and unwashed - Apr 22, 2010
- 'Use social meida to spread awareness about water conservation' - Jul 29, 2012
- Centre to come up with new national water policy: Khurshid - Apr 11, 2011
- Obama takes action to reduce medicine scarcity - Nov 01, 2011
- Maharashtra left with only 13 percent water in reservoirs - Jun 27, 2012
- Taps gone dry, Bihar braces for parched summer - Mar 10, 2011
- Two pilgrims die, many missing as boat capsizes in Gujarat - Jun 02, 2012
- Children without water, milk inside Kudankulam complex - Oct 15, 2011
- Village women queue up till late night to fetch water in Gujarat - Apr 21, 2010
- Bigg Boss 4 Day 34: Dolly And Ashmit Fight It Out - Nov 10, 2010
- Maharashtra declares 999 villages water deficient - Sep 28, 2011
- Man killed over water in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 07, 2012
- Mumbai residents cry foul over 15 percent water cut - Oct 30, 2009
Tags: acute water shortage, bonsi, break of dawn, clean water, district authorities, grave problem, gujarat, lakshman, legislator, monsoon, monsoons, respite from, scarcity of water, shortage of water, summer vacations, village girl, water pipes, water scarcity, wee hours, woes