Gujarat riot victims yet to receive suitable compensationJune 3rd, 2009 - 1:23 pm ICT by ANI
Ahmedabad, June 3 (ANI): The unfortunate victims of the communal riots that took place in Gujarat in February, 2002 lament over the fact that they have not yet received any compensation from the government.
More than 2,000 people were killed in riots, which broke out after a suspected Muslim mob had torched a train, burning to death 59 Hindu pilgrims and activists.
Hundreds of families were also rendered homeless with a majority among them losing their sole means of daily bread.
Nasir Khan, a victim, said that all these years, he had been hoping of receiving some compensation and all this has been in vain.He said that due to the anxiety, he and other family members have been passing sleepless nights while the appeal before the High Court is yet to be decided.
“We have not got any help so far. We had filed an appeal in the High court in the hope that we would get some compensation but we have not got any compensation so far. We are somehow passing our days. Just like 2002, we have not been able to have a sound sleep. We stay awake the entire night worried over our fate,” he added.
Razia Banu, another victim claimed she had not received even a single rupee as compensation so far.
The Gujarat violence was one of India’s worst religious bloodshed since independence. (ANI)
- Petition seeking Narendra Modi's deposition before Nanavati panel rejected (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Gujarat High Court raps Narendra Modi government - Feb 08, 2012
- Court orders relief for Gujarat riot victims - Jun 30, 2010
- Shift riot cases out of Gujarat, says Congress - Aug 09, 2011
- Plea for Modi's deposition to Gujarat riot panel rejected (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2012
- 94 percent Bhopal victims not properly compensated: Activists - Dec 20, 2011
- Case against Modi should be closed: BJP - Feb 11, 2012
- When we stood with pickaxes in Vadodara (10 years of Gujarat riots) - Feb 26, 2012
- Apex court should take cognisance of Gujarat action - Aug 11, 2011
- Children's deaths: Bihar families yet to get compensation - Jul 02, 2012
- Discord on Day 2: Protesters detained as Modi fasts - Sep 18, 2011
- Gujarat riots: Extra Rs.85 crore relief to be given to victims - Dec 14, 2010
- 'Narendra Modi needn't depose before Nanavati panel' - Feb 01, 2012
- Stop vilification campaign against Modi: BJP - Apr 10, 2012
- DU students remember victims of Gujarat riots - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: activists, anxiety, bloodshed, communal riots, daily bread, family members, fate, gujarat violence, hindu pilgrims, june 3, lament, mob, muslim, nasir khan, riot, rupee, sleep, sleepless nights, sound sleep, unfortunate victims