Gujarat Minister resigns as HC cancels her bail in 2002 riot caseMarch 27th, 2009 - 5:15 pm ICT by ANI
Ahmedabad/New Delhi, Mar 27 (ANI): Gujarat Women Development and Child Welfare Minister Mayaben Kodnani was forced to resign from the State ministry on Friday as the High Court cancelled the anticipatory bail granted to her.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi has accepted the resignation.
Kodnani, a three-time MLA from the Naroda constituency is an accused in the Naroda Gam and Naroda Patiya massacre cases in which around 95 people were killed in the communal violence of 2002.
On Monday, the Gujarat high court had reserved its order on the application filed by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) challenging the anticipatory bail granted to Kodnani, and VHP leader Jaideep Patel.
Justice DH Waghela also heard the applications filed by three witnesses of the 2002 riots cases seeking to join as party in the application submitted by the SIT.
Meanwhile, Congress leader Kapil Sibal has asked the BJP to apologise to the nation for the shameful Gujarat riots.
Talking to reporters in New Delhi, Sibal said that gradually more and more crimes committed during the riots would be unraveled.
“As long as Modi remains the poster boy of BJP, the saffron party can not lead this country to unity and prosperity,” he added. (ANI)
- Gujarat Minister Mayaben Kodnani surrenders - Mar 27, 2009
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- BJP downplays ex-Gujarat minister's conviction - Aug 29, 2012
- Gujarat HC rejects Maya Kodnani's bail plea - Mar 27, 2009
- 32 convicted in Naroda Patiya massacre - Aug 29, 2012
- Government cannot be linked to 2002 massacre: Gujarat - Aug 29, 2012
- Gujarat minister granted bail - Feb 05, 2009
- Ahmedabad court extends police remand of Mayaben Kodnani, Jaideep Patel till April 4 - Apr 01, 2009
- Mayaben Kodnani's police custody ends today - Apr 01, 2009
- BJP minister, charged with inciting riots, surrenders (Roundup) - Mar 27, 2009
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister Kodnani, 31 convicted (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Minister's involvement only with Modi's consent: Congress on Naroda - Aug 29, 2012
- BJP mum on Maya Kodnani's sentence - Aug 31, 2012
- Gujarat minister accused in Naroda Gam riots gets bail (Lead) - Feb 05, 2009
- Why shouldn't bail be cancelled, court asks Kodnani and Patel - Feb 24, 2009
Tags: bjp, chief minister, child welfare, communal violence, congress leader, constituency, gam, gujarat high court, gujarat minister, investigation team, kapil sibal, mla, modi, New Delhi, poster boy, riots, saffron party, state ministry, three witnesses, women development