Gujarat kite festival kicks offJanuary 13th, 2008 - 5:38 pm ICT by admin
Ahmedabad, Jan 13 (ANI): Thousands of enthusiasts gathered in Ahmedabad today to participate in Uttarayan, the famous kite festival of Gujarat and one of the biggest kite festivals in the world.
Kites of all hues, colours and shapes — - like dragons, human faces, shapes of birds and fruits - battled for the skies of the city, venue of a four-day annual International Kite Festival which is held during Makar Sankranti or Uttarayan, a harvest festival, which falls on January 14.
Though kite flying is popular in several countries, foreign participants admit, the one in the city is better than the rest.
It’s a privilege to come here and be a part of it as well, said Steve, a kite flier from Australia.
For many others who came for the first time, it was a wonderful experience.
“It’s my first time in India and we are enjoying in this country. I am very happy to be in this great festival, said Ellie, a kite flier from Ukraine.
A total of 69 participants from 24 countries, are competing with 990 Indian participants.
Though the origin of kite flying is unknown, it is believed kites were flown in China 2,000 years ago and were brought to India by the silk route by traders. (ANI)
- Kites, feasts, dancing mark Makar Sankranti celebrations (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Kite fliers from 13 countries dazzle Delhi - Jan 07, 2012
- International kite festival begins in Gujarat - Jan 10, 2010
- Bollywood Catching Up With Makar Sankranti On Social Networking Sites - Jan 15, 2011
- Gujarat lawyer's 25,000 kites to highlight human rights - Jan 07, 2011
- Kite sales soar in Gujarat ahead of Uttarayan - Jan 02, 2010
- Gujarat kites touch new high for Uttarayan festival - Jan 11, 2011
- Kite-flying marks Uttarayan celebrations in Gujarat (Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- Bollywood wishes fans on Makar Sankranti - Jan 14, 2011
- Flying kites, feasting, Delhi celebrates Makar Sankranti - Jan 14, 2011
- Campaign launched to save birds from kite's thread in Surat - Jan 01, 2011
- Hues of 34 nations dot Ahmedabad skies in kite festival - Jan 11, 2010
- Kite-flying marks Uttarayan celebration in Gujarat - Jan 14, 2010
- Makar Sankranti in Odisha with holy dips, kite flying - Jan 15, 2012
- Uttarayan brings people together in Gujarat - Jan 08, 2009
Tags: better than the rest, city venue, colours, ellie, enthusiasts, festivals in the world, gujarat, harvest festival, hues, indian participants, international kite festival, kite festivals, kite flier, kite flying, kites, makar sankranti, privilege, shapes, silk route, time in india