Gujarat HC rejects Maya Kodnani’s bail pleaMarch 27th, 2009 - 2:13 pm ICT by ANI
Ahmedabad, Mar 27 (ANI): The Gujarat High Court has rejected the anticipatory bail of Gujarat Women Development and Child Welfare Minister Maya Kodnani.Kodnani, who is accused for having led a mob in the post-Godhra riots in 2002, had seeked a stay in the judgement for a period of six weeks.
The Gujarat high court on Monday had reserved its order on the application filed by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) challenging the anticipatory bail granted to Kodnani, and VHP leader Jaideep Patel.
Justice DH Waghela also heard the applications filed by three witnesses of the 2002 riots cases seeking to join as party in the application submitted by the SIT.
Appearing for the witnesses, lawyers Mukul Sinha and SH Iyer submitted that 28 people affected by the riots had filed complaints before the police in 2002 when they were in the Shah Alam relief camp, out of which two had named Kodnani and around 20 had named Patel.
The lawyer submitted that the police had omitted the names of the two leaders in the clubbed FIR.
The SIT also refuted allegations raised by Kodnani’s counsel, Mahesh Jethmalani, that the SIT had been working with “mala fide” intentions to tarnish her image.
Kodnani, a three-time MLA from the Naroda constituency is an accused in the Naroda Gam and Naroda Patiya massacre cases in which around 95 people were killed in the communal violence of 2002. (ANI)
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Gujarat Minister Mayaben Kodnani surrenders - Mar 27, 2009
- Gujarat Minister resigns as HC cancels her bail in 2002 riot case - Mar 27, 2009
- Why shouldn't bail be cancelled, court asks Kodnani and Patel - Feb 24, 2009
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- BJP lawmaker, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya killings - Aug 31, 2012
- Kodnani conviction shows rule of law in Gujarat: BJP - Sep 01, 2012
- Godhra riots: Gujarat HC issues notice to Maya Kodnani - Feb 24, 2009
- Gujarat minister accused in Naroda Gam riots gets bail (Lead) - Feb 05, 2009
- 32 convicted in Naroda Patiya massacre - Aug 29, 2012
- Riot tainted BJP minister quits after bail plea rejected (Third lead) - Mar 27, 2009
- BJP minister, charged with inciting riots, surrenders (Roundup) - Mar 27, 2009
- BJP mum on Maya Kodnani's sentence - Aug 31, 2012
- Ahmedabad court extends police remand of Mayaben Kodnani, Jaideep Patel till April 4 - Apr 01, 2009
- Police removed names of leaders accused in Gujarat riots: Prosecutor - Mar 13, 2009
Tags: bail plea, child welfare, communal violence, constituency, dh, fir, gam, gujarat hc, gujarat high court, investigation team, iyer, judgement, mla, mob, riots, shah alam, sinha, six weeks, three witnesses, women development