Gujarat court to pronounce verdict on Godhra accused on March 1February 25th, 2011 - 6:54 pm ICT by ANI
Ahmedabad, Feb.25 (ANI): The verdict on the quantum of punishment for the 31 accused in the Godhra train burning case has been postponed till March 1, by a special court in Ahmedabad.
The tragedy had left 59 people dead and triggered communal violence in Gujarat that claimed the lives of over 1,200 people.
On Tuesday,the special court, which had accepted the theory of conspiracy behind the burning of the Sabarmati Express coach carrying kar sevaks returning from Ayodhya, had acquitted 63 people, including the main accused Maulvi Umarji while other key accused Haji Billa and Rajjak Kurkur were convicted.
The trial began in June 2009 and is being conducted inside the Sabarmati Central Jail in Ahmedabad with charges framed against 94 accused in the carnage that led to communal riots in Gujarat.
The accused had been charged with criminal conspiracy and murder for burning the S-6 coach of the train on February 27, 2002 near Godhra, in which 59 people were killed.
Scientific evidence, statement of witnesses, circumstantial and documentary evidence placed on record formed the basis of the judgment. (ANI)
- Godhra train carnage: 31 convicted, 63 acquitted (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- 31 convicted, 63 acquitted for Godhra train burning (Roundup) - Feb 22, 2011
- Godhra verdict: Ahmedabad court convicts 31, acquits 63 (Second Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Godhra train burning: death for 11, life for 20 (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Godhra sentencing based on dubious evidence: Swami Agnivesh - Mar 01, 2011
- Death sought for Godhra train burning convicts (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- 31 convicted in Godhra train burning, sentencing Friday (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Godhra case should be re-investigated: Prashant Bhushan - Mar 01, 2011
- I have never seen the Sabarmati Express, says Godhra 'mastermind' - Mar 26, 2011
- Godhra train carnage sentencing March 1 (Second Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- 11 get the noose for Godhra train burning, 21 sentenced to life (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Noose for 11, life for 20 in Godhra train burning (Third Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Justice Nanavati Commission summons top Gujarat cop Bhatt - Apr 27, 2011
- Godhra case: Death sentence for 11, life terms for 20 - Mar 01, 2011
- Top cop says Gujarat CM Modi involved in Godhra case - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,