Gujarat adopts Gandhigiri to reform traffic violatorsJanuary 5th, 2008 - 3:17 pm ICT by admin
Rajkot (Gujarat), Jan 5 (ANI): Traffic cops in Gujarat took to novel policing by handing out roses to the violators in a bid to stir their conscience.
The move is inspired by a Bollywood movie, which many say has revived memories of the apostle of peace, Mahatma Gandhi.
“We decided that we will not fine them and rather gave them roses to teach them and guide them. Some of them were not wearing the helmets, or using seat belts,” said Balwant Jadeja, head of Rajkot traffic police.
In the Bollywood movie Lage Raho Munnabhai, an underworld don (Sanjay Dutt) after his meeting with Mahatma Gandhis spirit starts emulating his pacifist ideals.
After learning Gandhiji’s teachings on non-violence, the gangster sends flowers to a corrupt real estate dealer, to cure him of the “disease”.
“When I was caught without helmet, police gave me a rose and told that what I are doing is wrong,” said Meghal, a traffic violator.
The practice shown in the film Munnabhai is called “Gandhigiri” or the use of moral force to assert a viewpoint as opposed to “dadagiri” or use of brutal force. (ANI)
- Checking traffic violations in Srinagar the way Mahatma Gandhi would have (Letter from Srinagar) (With image) - Sep 10, 2012
- 1,100 convicts write Gandhi exam in jails - Oct 02, 2011
- Practising Gandhigiri to help kick the butt - May 28, 2011
- Traffic cops in Lucknow take to 'gandhigiri' - Apr 04, 2012
- Benegal, Madhuri bag Raj Kapoor awards - Apr 21, 2012
- Most books on Gandhi bought by NRIs, youth - Jan 29, 2010
- Lack of strong script delaying third 'Munna Bhai': Hirani - Apr 02, 2012
- Punjab cops give roses to traffic violators - Jan 02, 2011
- Living up to the Mahatma's image, the American way (With Images) - Oct 01, 2009
- BSP will take steps to combat terrorism: Mayawati - Apr 20, 2009
- Know your Gandhi? Maharashtra prisoners prepare for test - Sep 30, 2011
- Gandhi's childhood would make for great film, says great grandson - Jan 17, 2010
- Picture of actor as Gandhi in government office kicks up row - Oct 07, 2010
- Aamir appeals to Anna to end fast - Aug 27, 2011
- Commoner to leader, thousands pay homage to the Mahatma - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: apostle, brutal force, conscience, gandhiji, gangster, gujarat, helmet, helmets, mahatma gandhi, mahatma gandhis, moral force, pacifist, rajkot, sanjay dutt, seat belts, traffic cops, traffic police, traffic violator, traffic violators, viewpoint