Guitarists strum together in record bidNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:56 am ICT by admin
About 1,730 guitarists played at a stadium in Shillong to break the existing Guinness record held by musicians from Kansas in the United States where 1,721 guitarists had performed Deep Purple’s “Smoke on the Water” last year.
Organisers said music was inherent in north-eastern state where people living under insurgency find solace in music.
“In Shillong, music was used as an instrument to fight the bandh (shutdown) culture. Every national holiday, there used to be a bandh called by the militants. To break that bandh, we called a band from Australia called ‘Aphrodisiac’,” said R.G. Lyngdoh, Tourism Minister of Meghalya.
There were no adjudicators from the Guinness Book of World Records at the Indian event, but its organisers claimed their feat would be recognised as they had two witnesses in keeping with the parameters set by the Guinness authorities.
The participants said they were thrilled to be a part of this spectacular event.
“I can’t express how proud I am to be here to be one of the participants, to break this world record,” said E. Moksh, a participant.
The performance has been videotaped and a copy would be sent to the Guinness authorities.
A similar event has been planned by guitarists in London on November 2.
Shillong also holds the world record for the largest drum ensemble after 7,951 drummers performed for more than five minutes in perfect rhythm last year. (ANI)
- In paying tribute to Hazarika, guitarists create record - Jun 04, 2012
- Mexico sets record for largest folk dance performance - Sep 05, 2011
- Celebrating India at cultural festival in Berlin - Jul 02, 2011
- Over 1,000 Cambodians dance for world record - Apr 29, 2012
- New Zealand man attempts hugging world record - Jul 02, 2011
- Nearly 2,000 guitarists to play "Smoke on the Water" for world record in Shillong - Nov 14, 2007
- Shillong ensemble wins three golds at choir Olympics - Jul 27, 2010
- Mizoram sets world record in traditional dance (With Images) - Mar 12, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh eyes world record with mass yoga - Jan 11, 2012
- Punjab youth claim setting coconut-breaking record - May 10, 2012
- Thailand aims at world record in massage - Jun 03, 2011
- 1,141 people set new Guinness World Record walking barefoot - Sep 06, 2010
- Gujarat sets 6 Guinness records in golden jubilee year - Jun 14, 2011
- Australians strip for charity - Dec 05, 2010
- Puerto Rican musician Yomo Toro dies - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: aphrodisiac, authorities, bandh, guinness book of world, guinness book of world records, guinness record, guitar ensemble, guitarists, knocking on heaven, meghalaya, national holiday, organisers, participants, shillong, smoke on the water, spectacular event, tourism minister, two witnesses, world record