Growing Indo-Israel relationship not a matter of concern for Palestine: AbbasOctober 9th, 2008 - 5:28 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 9 (ANI): Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas today said that India’’s growing ties with Israel is not a matter of concern for Palestinians as they remain assured of New Delhi’’s support for their struggle for independence.
While talking to media persons about India s growing engagement with Israel , particularly in the field of defence, Abbas said, ” India ‘’s relations with Israel is its sovereign decision.”
“We are not going to interfere. We know very well that India is supportive of the Palestinian struggle for achieving its own independence,” added Abbas.
Abbas also said that he was grateful to the Indian government for the economic support that Palestine has received in the past and during the present visit.
On the change in leadership in Israel , he noted that Prime Minister-designate Tzipi Livni has been really acquainted with the Middle East peace process.
Abbas said the two leaders cannot be compared but both belong to the same political party, adding, “The moment Livni forms her own government, we will start negotiating with her.”
While talking about radical Hamas” refusal to accept his Presidency after January, Abbas said the Palestinian Authority (PA) was awaiting the Arab proposal to initiate the election process.
During his three-day visit to India Abbas met President Pratibha Patil and held talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who reaffirmed support to the Palestinian cause and to a negotiated settlement of the issue. (ANI)
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Palestinian president arrives Monday on state visit - Sep 10, 2012
- Palestine leader heads to India next week (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- India to host Palestinian leader next week - Sep 07, 2012
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- India pledges $10 mn for Palestine - Sep 11, 2012
- Krishna leaves for Israel, Palestine Sunday - Jan 06, 2012
- Abbas not to hold bilateral talks with Iran - Aug 31, 2012
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- India backs Palestinian bid for UN membership - Oct 01, 2011
- Russia supports creation of independent Palestinian state, urges talks - Jan 19, 2011
- India urges Israel, Palestine to resume direct talks - Dec 15, 2011
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: authority president mahmoud abbas, economic support, hamas, indian government, israel relationship, mahmoud abbas, manmohan, manmohan singh, media persons, middle east peace, middle east peace process, palestinian authority, palestinian authority president mahmoud abbas, palestinian cause, palestinian struggle, president mahmoud abbas, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, tzipi livni