Greg Norman, Evert shift their wedding venue to a more secluded spotJune 27th, 2008 - 6:21 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 27 (ANI): Golfer Greg Norman and former tennis great Chris Evert have moved the venue of their weekend wedding from the beachfront to a more secluded area on exclusive Paradise Island in the Bahamas.
The Australian golfing great and the American tennis legend were expected to hold a sunset ceremony on Saturday (Sunday AEST) on the private beach fronting the famous One and Only Ocean Club hotel, which features in a recent James Bond movie.
But the couple, who have reportedly sold the rights to the wedding, switched to the nearby fenced off Blue Shark Golf Club when it became apparent there would be major media interest, particularly from Norman’s native Australia, the Palm Beach Post reported today.
Representatives of the Nine Network and News Ltd newspapers have already had run-ins with Paradise Island security, who threatened to detain them and warned against taking any pictures. Media has also been banned from the local, public, beach.
Norman and Evert, both 53, are checked into the Ocean Club hotel, which Norman is believed to have booked out for the big event.
About 100 guests have started to arrive, and one guest told the Palm Beach Post that they’ll be treated to rounds of golf with Norman, tennis with Evert and spa treatments.
The guest list is believed to include former US presidents Bill Clinton and George Bush senior, Martina Navratilova, singers Gwen Stefani and Kenny Loggins, and comedian Chevy Chase, and US Today show host Matt Lauer.
But the Post says it’s understood that President Bush Senior is at his holiday home in Maine and will not be attending.
Norman’s son Gregory, 22, will be his best man while Evert’s sister Clare Evert-Shane will be her maid of honour. Norman’s daughter Morgan-Leigh and Evert’s three sons will also be there.
But two people who won’t be attending are Norman’s ex-wife Laura Andrassy and Evert’s second ex-husband Andy Mill.
Norman filed for divorce from Andrassy after 25 years of marriage in June 2006. After fiery court proceedings and interviews in the press, Andrassy reportedly collected 100 million dollars in the divorce settlement.
British tennis player Chris Lloyd was Evert’s first husband. They divorced in 1987. (ANI)
- Whos who of sports, showbiz and politics to attend Norman-Evert nuptials - Jun 09, 2008
- Greg Norman, Chris Evert to marry on Saturday - Jun 25, 2008
- Golfer Greg Norman's sister calls his ex-wife Evert 'dominating' - Jul 19, 2010
- Greg Norman's former wives speak out on his latest engagement - Oct 19, 2010
- Norman, Evert officially 'divorced in secret' - Jan 12, 2010
- Oz golfer Greg Norman ties the knot for third time - Nov 13, 2010
- Norman, Evert marriage was doomed from start: Ex-wife - Oct 04, 2009
- Greg Norman's ex-wives 'hurt over his new relationship' - May 10, 2010
- Norman and Evert separate after 15 months of marriage - Oct 03, 2009
- Husband of Greg Norman's new lover troubled by split - Apr 24, 2010
- `Evert's presence could have helped me to win more tournaments,' says Norman - Jul 20, 2009
- Norman finds new love after divorcing Evert - Apr 19, 2010
- Tennis rivals Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert reunite at docu screening - Aug 28, 2010
- Evert's ex hubby says her separation from Norman is `horrible' - Oct 05, 2009
- Golfer Greg Normans ex-wife wants money earned from his wedding to Evert - Aug 07, 2008
Tags: american tennis, chevy chase, daughter morgan, golfer greg norman, gwen stefsunset ceremony, husband andy, maid of honour, morgan leigh, native australia, norman tennis, one and only ocean club, palm beach post, paradise island in the bahamas, president bush senior, son gregory, tennis legend, us presidents, wedding venue, weekend wedding