Greenhouse effect may also cool the climateOctober 11th, 2008 - 12:31 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 11 (ANI): An example of the greenhouse effect cooling the climate has been seen in Spain, where the roofs of hothouse farms reflect so much sunlight that they may be pushing down local temperatures.
Since the 1970s, semi-arid pasture land in Almeria, south-eastern Spain, has been replaced by greenhouse horticulture.
Today, Almeria has the largest expanse of greenhouses in the world - around 26,000 hectares.
According to a report in New Scientist, Pablo Campra of the University of Almeria and colleagues studied temperature trends from weather stations inside the region, and from other areas of Spain.
With the help of satellite data, they compared semi-arid pasture land and greenhouses, looking for differences in surface radiation and albedo - the ability to reflect sunlight.
In the greenhouse region, air temperature has cooled by an average of 0.3 degree Celsius per decade since 1983. In the rest of Spain, it has risen by around 0.5 degree Celsius.
The satellite data revealed that the white greenhouses were much more reflective than farmland.
The team thinks that the white roofs are key to the cooling, demonstrating the potential for placing reflective surfaces in semi-arid regions of the world to offset climate change. (ANI)
- Sugarcane 'can help in cooling climate' - Apr 18, 2011
- Not all forests act against global warming - Jan 22, 2010
- 'Cooling' forests can 'heat' as well - Jan 23, 2010
- Crops reflecting sunlight could offset global warming - Nov 09, 2010
- Painting your roofs white could help reduce effects of global warming - Jan 31, 2010
- Shrinking snow and ice cover 'making global warming worse' - Jan 19, 2011
- 2010 tied for warmest year on record - Jan 13, 2011
- Aerosols may impact climate more than estimated - Aug 02, 2011
- Human-induced global warming requires long-term study - Nov 20, 2011
- Climate changes will be rapid if warming continues - Dec 09, 2011
- Using liquid foam technology to improve greenhouse, plant microclimates - Dec 29, 2010
- Cool roofs and pavements may help fight global warming - Jul 20, 2010
- Halting emissions would still make earth warmer - Feb 16, 2011
- Wind farms cause climate change: Study - Apr 30, 2012
- 2011 - 9th warmest year on record, says NASA - Jan 21, 2012
Tags: air temperature, almeria, arid regions, campra, climate change, degree celsius, eastern spain, expanse, farmland, greenhouse effect, greenhouses, new scientist, oct 11, pasture land, reflective surfaces, regions of the world, satellite data, surface radiation, temperature trends, weather stations