Grand reception for Asian Games silver medal winning Indian sailing teamNovember 23rd, 2010 - 7:47 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 23 (ANI): The Indian sailing team, which won a silver medal in the match racing event at the ongoing Asian Games were accorded a warm welcome here by the Indian Navy and the Yachting Association of India (YAI).
The team comprised of Lt Cdr (Retd) F Tarapore and Cdr Atool Sinha, CPO (MA) Balraj, POR (Tel) Shekhar Singh Yadav and Trunal.
Lt Cdr (Retd) F Tarapore, had earlier won the Fireball class gold medal as crew of Zarir Karanjia in the 1982 Asian Games sailing regatta held off the Mumbai harbor and also picked up a hat-trick of bronze medals in the Asian Games held between 1986 and 1994 in different classes of boats.
The ‘Indian Naval Watermanship Training Centre’, Mumbai, has been a training centre for champion sailors and has produced 13 Arjuna awardees, two Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna awardees and one Dronacharya awardee for the sport in the past 40 years.
The YAI was formally constituted on 15 May 1960 and was registered under the Societies Registration Act XXVI of 1961 on 22 December 1964 at Calcutta, West Bengal.
The YAI is affiliated to the International Sailing Federation (ISAF), which is recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) as the governing authority for sailing worldwide.
The YAI is officially recognised by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India and the Indian Olympic Association as the governing authority for sailing, windsurfing, motor boating, powerboat racing and personal watercraft, at sea and on inland waters in India. (ANI)
- India down Pakistan 3-2 in Asiad hockey; medal tally at 24 (Roundup) - Nov 20, 2010
- Indian Navy wins international sailing regatta - Dec 13, 2010
- Olympics: Van Rijsselberge surfs to sailing Gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Film journalist B K Karanjia, former NFDC chairman, dead - Jun 23, 2012
- Film journalist B.K. Karanjia, former NFDC chairman, dead (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Olympic sailing: Australia win men's 470 class gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Three Shaurya Chakras among I-Day gallantry awards - Aug 15, 2011
- Navy helicopter crew to get gallantry award - Jan 25, 2011
- Mumbai International Match Race sailing begins tomorrow - Nov 01, 2009
- AIFF to felicitate heroes of 1951 and '62 Asian Games - Aug 15, 2012
- Three Indian rowers qualify for Olympics - Apr 29, 2012
- 44 NCC cadets on 600-km ocean sailing expedition (With Images) - Jan 25, 2012
- Donde wants his round-the-world trip boat to sail on - Sep 17, 2011
- Air force rescues eight from stranded boat in Assam - Jun 27, 2012
- Chidambaram felicitates police sportspersons for winning medals at CWG, Asian Games - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,