Grand Imam of Mecca Masjid attends religious congregation in DelhiMarch 27th, 2011 - 12:42 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar.27 (ANI): Sheikh Abdul Rehman Sudais, grand imam of Masjid-al-Haram in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, attended the Azmat-e- Sahaba conference, a religious congregation organized by Jamiat Ulema-i-Hind at the Ramlila Grounds in Delhi.
Sudais is the first ever Imam-e-Haram to visit India.
Sudais also visited Darul Uloom, an Islamic seminary at Deoband in Uttar Pradesh on Friday and met Muslim students there.
He called upon the Muslim community to follow modern education for reform.
Delivering a lecture in the Rashidiya mosque in the town, Sudais said: “”It’s only the modern education through which a community can progress.”
” It is responsibility of the religious leaders to spread the message of peace in the world so that violence can cease,” he added.
On his visit to New Delhi, he met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over dinner, which was kept in his honour.
Abdul Aleem Farooqui, General Secretary, Jamiat Ulema-i-Hind, said that the Muslim Community has been honoured by Sudais’ presence at the congregation.
Farooqui said: ” Mahmood Madani, president of Jamiat Ulama (Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind) and head of ullemas (spiritual leaders), has organized the Azmat-e- Sahaba conference. To make this conference more important he invited imam-e-haram. And as a result of the invitation he came here.” (ANI)
- Charge sheet filed in Bharatpur riots - Mar 06, 2012
- Policemen removed for negligence in Rajasthan clash - Sep 23, 2011
- Muslim group condemns Varanasi blast - Dec 09, 2010
- Police firing did not kill anyone in Bharatpur: Official - Sep 19, 2011
- Federation of Muslim educational institutes launched - Mar 12, 2011
- Apex court to examine plea on terror accused - Aug 27, 2012
- Lakhs throng Deoband for prayers led by Saudi cleric - Mar 25, 2011
- 'Vande Mataram' should be respected by all Indians: Congress - Nov 06, 2009
- Jamiat downplays Vande Mataram issue - Nov 04, 2009
- Deoband denies 'fatwa' against working women (Lead) - May 12, 2010
- Kashmir an integral part of India, say Deoband clerics - Oct 11, 2010
- Muslim clerics condemn scholar's arrest - May 15, 2010
- Muslims join in 'Vande Mataram' rally in Madhya Pradesh - Nov 09, 2009
- No resolution passed during Chidambaram's visit to Deoband - Nov 04, 2009
- Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind asks people not to draw hasty conclusions - Oct 02, 2010
Tags: abdul rehman, aleem, azmat, deoband, farooqui, grand imam, imam of mecca, islamic seminary, manmohan singh, masjid al haram, mecca masjid, mecca saudi arabia, modern education, muslim community, muslim students, peace in the world, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, religious congregation, sahaba