Govt. to call Muslim MPs soon to decide Haj pilgrimage arrangementsFebruary 24th, 2011 - 6:21 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 24 (ANI): External Affairs Minister S M Krishna on Thursday informed the Rajya Sabha that the government will call a meeting of Muslim MPs soon to decide on reforms in arrangements for Haj pilgrimage.
“I plan to convene a meeting of Muslim members of Parliament from both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha so that we can hear from them suggestion which we can incorporate in preparing for Haj (pilgrimage this year),” he said during the Question Hour.
Krishna said the government gave a Haj subsidy of Rs 367 crore in 2006-07, which rose to Rs 390 crore in 2007-08 and to Rs 867 crore in 2008-09.
“It is the constant endeavor of the Government to improve and reform the management of the arrangements for Haj pilgrimage in consultation with all concerned,” he said.
“The government has to operate within a quota fixed by the Saudi Arabia. It is not that the Government of India is free to decide,” he added, when questioned about the increasing quota of people going for Haj. (ANI)
- Government to meet Muslim MPs on Haj facility reforms - Feb 24, 2011
- Preparations for Haj pilgrims on smooth track: Krishna - Aug 12, 2010
- Haj subsidy to end in 10 years, rules Supreme Court (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- India pays Rs.600 crore as Haj subsidy annually - May 08, 2012
- Valid passports must for Indian Haj pilgrimage from 2012 - May 22, 2012
- Apex court observations on Haj subsidy - May 08, 2012
- 125,000 pilgrims to be covered under Haj subsidy - Jul 20, 2012
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Third Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Apex court observations on Haj subsidy (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 09, 2012
- Muslim clerics, leaders welcome apex court ruling on Haj (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Apex court wants VIP quota for Haj to go (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Three Indian Haj pilgrims die - Oct 07, 2011
- Haj tour operators demand release of quota - Sep 12, 2011
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Court curbs on Haj quota of private tour operators - Sep 19, 2011
Tags: consultation, crore, endeavor, external affairs minister, government of india, haj subsidy, krishna, Lok Sabha, members of parliament, mps, muslim, New Delhi, parliament, pilgrimage, quota, rajya sabha, saudi arabia, suggestion