Govt keen to prevent surrogate ads on alcohol and tobaccoJune 10th, 2009 - 11:06 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 10 (ANI): To prevent surrogate advertising of alcohol and tobacco products on television, the Government has tabled a paper in Parliament to implement various provisions ensuring this.
It’s intended to implement the provisions incorporated in the Cable Television Network Rules 1994 to prevent surrogate advertisements of alcohol and tobacco products on TV.
On Tuesday, the Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni introduced the paper in both Houses of Parliament. It suggests that if “a product that uses a brand or logo, which is also used for promoting cigarettes and tobacco products, the visual of the advertisement should depict only the product being advertised and not prohibited products in any form or manner”.
Stating the proposed rules in connection with the matter, the paper also says that “advertisement must not make any direct or indirect reference to the prohibited products”.
Besides, the advertisement should not contain any nuances or phrases promoting prohibited products and also the commercial must not use situations typical for promotion of prohibited products when advertising other products.
The above mentioned rules were issued through a Gazette notification by the Ministry on February 27 this year, and were included in the existing provisions of the Cable Television Network Rules 1994, titled as Cable Television Network (Amendment) Rules 2009. (ANI)
- ''Jannat 2' ad showing Emraan smoking unlawful' - May 03, 2012
- 'Blatant violation of anti-tobacco law in 'Heroine' promos' - Jul 25, 2012
- Maharashtra among top tobacco consumers in India - Jun 15, 2012
- Check tobacco promotion, sales: Voluntary group to FSSAI - Jun 20, 2012
- Chewing tobacco joins 'banned foods' as oral cancer cases rise - Sep 02, 2011
- Remove tobacco ads from Metro: NGO tells DMRC - Jun 01, 2012
- Tobacco ads everywhere, why isolate Metro: DMRC - Jun 06, 2012
- Central government schools to become tobacco free - Feb 28, 2012
- Watching actors smoke could make kids vulnerable - Jul 08, 2011
- Notice to government on smoking scenes in films (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Consider making police stations tobacco-free: Delhi High Court - Jun 12, 2012
- Health ministry plans plain packaging of tobacco products - Jul 23, 2012
- 'Keep up ban on sale of tobacco near schools, colleges' - Feb 12, 2010
- Civic agencies get court notice on illegal hookah bars - Aug 01, 2012
- Blatant violations of pictorial warnings on tobacco products in India: Study - Aug 26, 2009
Tags: advertisement, advertisements, alcohol, ambika soni, cable television network, cigarettes, gazette notification, houses of parliament, indirect reference, New Delhi, nuances, parliament, phrases, provisions, tobacco products