Govt. issues notice to Google over wrong depiction of parts of J-KAugust 21st, 2010 - 10:25 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug.21 (ANI): Taking a serious note of Google India showcasing some part of Jammu and Kashmir incorrectly, the Government has issued notice to the website and directed its department to hold inquiry into the matter.
Following media reports that Google Images was depicting India’s international boundaries incorrectly, the Union Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology Sachin Pilot on Thursday (Aug.19) instructed the Department of Information Technology to inquire into the matter and to take necessary steps to ensure that the depiction was made accurate.
The Minister has also directed the Department to carry out a survey to find out if other websites are providing accurate information about India’ borders.
On Aug.20, acting on Mr. Pilot’s directions, the Department of Information Technology issued a notice to Google India under section 69A and section 79 of the Information Technology Act.
The notice by the Department of Information Technology to Google India stated: “The map of India available through www.google.com/insights shows certain parts of Jammu and Kashmir, as a part of different country. As per the Indian law, wrongful depiction of Indian map including the boundaries is an offence.”
“It gives rise to issues concerning defence of India, sovereignty and integrity of India. Ms.Google Inc. intermediary is liable for action under Section 79 of the Information Technology Act, 2000.”
“Further, the pages carrying the wrongful depiction of Indian map may also attract provisions of section 69 A of the Information Technology Act.”
“It is directed to immediately remove the wrong depiction of Indian maps from its website,” the notice stated. (ANI)
- India rejects incorrect border maps on US website - Jan 04, 2012
- India protests US depiction of Kashmir as Pakistani territory - Nov 21, 2011
- US promises to fix up inaccurate India map - Nov 22, 2011
- Australian website doesn't show Kashmir, Arunachal as part of India - Jun 12, 2011
- Haryana official suspended for wrong map - May 19, 2012
- Pakistan reiterates Jammu and Kashmir 'disputed territory' - Jan 07, 2012
- China examines Google's mapping request - Feb 02, 2012
- Arunachal protests new iPhone4 maps' China tilt - Oct 03, 2010
- Centre approves action against sites with objectionable content (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Government to act against sites with objectionable content (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Court notice to pilots' group on Air India plea (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Government website has incomplete map of India (With Image) - Apr 20, 2011
- Government site has distorted map of India (Lead) (With Images) - Apr 20, 2011
- Every inch of Arunachal Pradesh belongs to India: Sachin Pilot - Jan 15, 2010
- Court stays information panel's order to RBI on RTI plea - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: act 2000, borders, department of information technology, depiction, google, google images, google inc, india ms, indian maps, information technology act, international boundaries, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, map of india, minister of state, necessary steps, New Delhi, offence, sovereignty, union minister