Govt. extends ceasefire with NDFB till June 30January 6th, 2009 - 11:10 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan.6 (ANI): The Government on Tuesday decided to extend the ceasefire agreement with the banned National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) for six months till June 30, 2009.
The decision to extend the ceasefire with the banned militant group has come after a delay of almost a week due to alleged involvement of the outfit in Assam serial blasts in October.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi while speaking in the national capital said: “The agreement of suspension of operations with NDFB has been extended by six months.”
He said that it had been made clear to the NDFB that it would have to abide by the ground rule with letter and spirit and should not engage in violence.
“If they involve in any violence in future we will be forced to take action against them,” said Tarun Gogoi. .
The Suspension of Operations (SoO) lapsed on Dec.31, 2008 and even after a few rounds of talks among the Home Ministry, Assam government and the NDFB, the decision over the extension of ceasefire remained delayed following the suspected involvement of the outfit in the October serial blasts in the state.
The SoO agreement between NDFB and Government started from June 1 2005 ending nine years of violence in Assam. (ANI)
Tags: assam government, ceasefire agreement, chief minister, few rounds, gogoi, home ministry, militant group, national democratic front, New Delhi, nine years, serial blasts, six months, spirit, tarun, violence