Govt decides to end dereservation of posts for SC and STOctober 8th, 2008 - 9:32 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct.8 (ANI): In a politically significant decision ahead of next year’’s general elections, the UPA Government on Wednesday decided to end the dereservation of posts meant for Scheduled Castes and Tribes in Central Government jobs.
A meeting of the Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, approved the enactment of a law to enforce job reservation for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes by stipulating penalties on offices which do not implement them effectively.
Briefing reporters after the meeting, Finance Minister P Chidambaram said the Cabinet gave its nod to enact the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Reservation in Posts and Services) Bill 2008.
“Posts reserved for SCs and STs will not be dereserved and they (vacancies) will be carried over,” he said, adding the proposed bill would contain provisions for imposing penalties on offices which do not implement the job quota. (ANI)
- Cabinet approves bill for reservation in job promotions - Sep 04, 2012
- PM hints at amendment bill for quota in job promotions (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- PM seeks solution to quota in job promotions - Aug 21, 2012
- Mayawati demands constitution amendment for SC/ST quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- PM to head all-party meet on job promotion quota - Aug 21, 2012
- Nod for amendment to bill on women's quota in panchayats - Jul 21, 2011
- 'Quashing reservation in promotions goes against SCs, STs' - May 03, 2012
- Lok Sabha passes amended OBC quota bill - May 16, 2012
- Reserved posts not to be de-reserved: government - Oct 08, 2008
- Udit Raj welcomes decision on Lokpal reservations - Dec 21, 2011
- Amend statute for job promotions to SCs, STs: Mayawati - Apr 30, 2012
- BSP welcomes cabinet nod for reservation in job promotion - Sep 04, 2012
- Posts for SCs, STs lie vacant in central universities - Aug 20, 2012
- Cabinet approval for Lokpal bill likely Monday (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- All-party meeting on job promotion quota Aug 21 (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: castes, central government, enactment, finance minister, general elections, government jobs, job, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, nod, p chidambaram, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, provisions, quota, scs, tribes, union cabinet, vacancies