Govt considering proposal to enhance strength of NCC: AntonyNovember 25th, 2007 - 10:24 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Nov 25 (ANI): Defence Minister A K Antony today said that the Government is considering a proposal to enhance the numerical strength of the National Cadet Corps (NCC) in a phased manner.
Delivering a lecture on the 59th Raising Day of the NCC here, Antony said, The strength of the NCC comprises four percent of the total number of students in the country. You must devise ways and means to further popularise NCC in schools and colleges. The Government is already considering a proposal to enhance the numerical strength of NCC in a phased manner.
Pointing out that the world order of today is marked by an inter-dependence of nations, he said that the NCC must continue to evolve, in tune with the changing times.
Recent initiatives to start career counselling, personality development and communication skills development will prove beneficial for all of you, particularly those from the rural areas, he added.
Antony further said that unity in diversity is the defining feature of India, and through its vast network that covers nearly the entire length and breadth of the country, the NCC has indeed been a crucial vehicle of national integration.
The training provided by NCC is aimed at instilling character and discipline among the youth. Youth can and must act as powerful agents of social change. Adventure activities and active participation in social causes was introduced to enhance greater self-awareness and sensitivity, so that todays youth grow up into mature and responsible citizens of our nation, the minister said.
One of the aims of NCC is to provide the right environment to motivate youth to join the Armed Forces, he said.
However, Antony added, the training provided by the NCC and imbibing virtues such as discipline, dedication and commitment would definitely help NCC cadets to excel in other walks of life too.
Today, you must re-dedicate yourselves to render selfless service to the nation. Nation-building is a continuous endeavour. You must strive tirelessly to realize your dreams and aspirations, he said, adding that rather than setting an example for others, they must be an example to themselves. (ANI)
- Pallam Raju inaugurates NCC DDGs' conference - Apr 27, 2011
- NCC to redefine training philosophy (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- NCC to redefine training philosophy - Apr 11, 2012
- Compulsory year-long NCC stint for youth? - Jun 09, 2011
- NCC to grow, change training syllabus - Jul 05, 2012
- NCC strength to grow to 15 lakh: Prime Minister - Jan 28, 2011
- Antony visits NCC Republic Day Camp - Jan 21, 2010
- NCC can also neutralize threats like terrorism, communalism: PM - Jan 28, 2010
- NCC targets women cadets - Jan 05, 2012
- Maharashtra NCC bags PM's banner trophy 15th time - Jan 29, 2012
- NCC cadet commended for efforts during Leh cloudburst - Jan 20, 2011
- NCC readies for Republic Day parade - Jan 05, 2011
- India needs more young leaders: PM - Jan 28, 2012
- Neglect of NCC deters youth in Uttar Pradesh to join it - Jan 26, 2010
- Wait for legal outcome on army chief's age: Antony - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: adventure activities, antony, beneficial, career counselling, crucial, defence minister, discipline, imbibing, national cadet corps, national integration, ncc, numerical strength, personality development, proposal, responsible citizens, self awareness, selfless service, skills development, unity in diversity, walks of life