Govinda unwilling to contest general elections: ChavanMarch 29th, 2009 - 10:11 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Mar 29 (ANI): Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan on Sunday said the Bollywood actor-turned-politician Govinda has expressed unwillingness to contest the upcoming general elections.
“Govinda has declined the offer to contest the Lok Sabha elections again,” Chavan told reporters at State Congress party office here.
Govinda is the Congress MP from Mumbai North parliamentary constituency. He won the 2004 Lok Sabha elections from the constituency after defeating the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate Ram Naik.
The Chief Minister informed that actress Nagma has shown keenness to contest from the seat.
“Nagma is one of the applicants from this constituency,” he added. (ANI)
- Akhilesh Yadav's wife to contest Kannauj by-election (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Govinda out of poll fray, Naghma may be in - Mar 29, 2009
- Under flak, Chavan meets Sonia, PM - Apr 21, 2012
- Andhra minister, MP spar over Secunderabad parliamentary seat - Feb 29, 2012
- Prithviraj Chavan meets Ashok Chavan ahead of swearing-in-ceremony - Nov 11, 2010
- Stage set for Tuesday's by-polls in Andhra Pradesh - Jun 11, 2012
- On poll-eve, ex-MP and Hingoli Congress chief joins NCP - Jan 28, 2012
- Sharad Pawar supports Prithviraj Chavan as Maharashtra Chief Minister - Nov 10, 2010
- Prithviraj Chavan sworn in Maharashtra chief minister (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Prithviraj Chavan to be new Maharashtra Chief Minister - Nov 10, 2010
- Sushilkumar Shinde: Ex-cop is India's home minister (Profile) - Jul 31, 2012
- Prithviraj Chavan takes oath as Maharashtra CM, Pawar as Deputy CM - Nov 11, 2010
- Pawar mulls quitting electoral politics - Jan 28, 2012
- Prithviraj Chavan: low-profile technocrat is new man for Maharashtra (Profile) - Nov 10, 2010
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: actor turned politician, actress nagma, ashok, bharatiya janata party, bollywood actor, congress party, general elections, lok sabha elections, maharashtra chief minister, mp, mumbai, nagma, parliamentary constituency, ram naik, state congress