Govinda clarifies his position on poll code violationMarch 21st, 2009 - 1:13 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Mar 21 (ANI): Actor turned Congress MP Govinda visited a Mumbai District Collector’’s office on Friday and clarified his position on poll code violation charges.
Govinda had been charged for allegedly distributing cash at a function to celebrate Holi.
“If he tries to induce the voters, or if a candidate tries to induce voters, it amounts to bribery. He can be prosecuted,” said Vishwas Patil, the western Mumbai suburban District Collector.
Govinda denied any wrongdoing.
“I think this is wrong. Religion, tradition and culture cannot be linked to politics. Neither, it was my constituency nor have I filed my nomination from there. Even it is not proved that the poor people were from my constituency. So it was my responsibility to answer the queries,” he said.
Poll authorities on March 12 announced an inquiry into the case.
Govinda had been accused of violating the Model Code of Conduct by the Election Commission for distributing money during Holi.
Maharashtra Chief Electoral Officer Debashish Chakrabarty ordered an inquiry into the incident in which Govinda allegedly distributed cash outside his Juhu residence last Wednesday.
In 2004 elections, Govinda was accused of violating the Model Code of Conduct for using pictures of national personalities and saints during his campaign. (ANI)
- Govinda accused of violating Model Code of Conduct - Mar 13, 2009
- BJP candidate in Kerala charged for violating election code of conduct - Mar 07, 2011
- Govinda meets district collector over cash dole on Holi - Mar 20, 2009
- Didn't violate poll code, Jayant tells EC - Feb 21, 2012
- Govinda faces probe for cash dole on Holi - Mar 12, 2009
- Cash for votes: Tamil Nadu panel warns of putting off polls - Apr 12, 2011
- Will put off Tamil Nadu poll if bribes continue: EC - Apr 11, 2011
- Goa Congress candidate being probed for model code violation - Jan 09, 2012
- 'Govinda's explanation on doling out cash during Holi unsatisfactory' - Mar 16, 2009
- FIR against Jharkhand speaker for poll violations - May 25, 2012
- Congress candidate to be booked for giving away cricket kits - Jan 23, 2012
- Money, money... how moolah gets around in Tamil Nadu polls - Apr 12, 2011
- Ajit Pawar, Pune mayor get notices for violating poll code - Jan 06, 2012
- Poll panel warns against canvassing for postal votes - Apr 23, 2011
- Congress leader re-ignites quota controversy, opposition furious (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: 2004 elections, authorities, bribery, chief electoral officer, code of conduct, congress, constituency, election commission, holi, model code, mp, national personalities, nomination, poll code, queries, saints, suburban district, tradition, vishwas, wrongdoing