Govinda accused of violating Model Code of ConductMarch 13th, 2009 - 1:44 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Mar. 13 (ANI): Actor turned Congress MP Govinda has been accused of violating the Model Code of Conduct by the Election Commission for distributing money during Holi.
Maharashtra Chief Electoral Officer Debashish Chakrabarty has ordered an inquiry into the incident in which Govinda allegedly distributed cash outside his Juhu residence on Wednesday.
“I have directed the returning officer Ashwini Joshi to find out whether the Model Code of Conduct has been violated by Govinda. Once the report is ready, it will be forwarded to the CEO,” Suburban Collector Vishwas Patil said.
The Bollywood comedian, however, defended himself by saying that distributing money during Holi has been a ritual of him for years.
“I really don”t know why such a big issue is being made out of this. This is a ritual I do every year. I donate money to the poor and needy, and these include eunuchs, poor people in my area and actors who are financially in a bad shape,” Govinda said.
Even during the 2004 elections, Govinda’’s was accused of violating the Model Code of Conduct for using pictures of national personalities and saints during his campaign. (ANI)
- Govinda clarifies his position on poll code violation - Mar 21, 2009
- Govinda faces probe for cash dole on Holi - Mar 12, 2009
- 'Govinda's explanation on doling out cash during Holi unsatisfactory' - Mar 16, 2009
- Govinda meets district collector over cash dole on Holi - Mar 20, 2009
- Congress leader re-ignites quota controversy, opposition furious (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2012
- Police to withdraw poll-linked case against Dikshit (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Didn't violate poll code, Jayant tells EC - Feb 21, 2012
- Rahul did not violate poll code, says Congress - Feb 20, 2012
- CEC for ban on criminals, black money in polls - Mar 09, 2012
- Will push for electoral reforms, says Sampath - Jun 11, 2012
- Left Front flouted model code of conduct: Trinamool - Mar 09, 2011
- Bailable warrant issued against Sanjay Dutt - Mar 27, 2011
- Quota remarks: Poll panel notice to Verma, minister unfazed (Second Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Ban opinion polls after model code imposed: Quraishi - Jan 10, 2011
- Not guilty of violating model code, Verma tells poll panel (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: 2004 elections, actors, bad shape, ceo, chakrabarty, chief electoral officer, code of conduct, comedian, congress, election commission, holi, joshi, model code, money, mp, national personalities, returning officer, saints, suburban, vishwas