Government under pressure if present heat trends continueJune 23rd, 2009 - 2:14 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi June 23 (National): The slowdown in the southwestern monsoon, since June7 has put the Government under pressure, as India is likely to face a major agricultural crisis if the present trend in the weather continues.
The delayed monsoons may put the livelihood of millions of farmers at risk, as over 60 per cent of Indian agriculture is rain fed.
Madhya Pradesh is suffering 92 per cent, Chhattisgarh 91 per cent, Marathwada 82 per cent, Saurashtra 100 per cent, Orissa 43 per cent, Jharkhand 54 per cent, Bihar 81 per cent and Uttar Pradesh is facing a deficit of 85 per cent in monsoon rainfall.
But the Met Department is hopeful that monsoon will pick up by this week and most parts of Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka are likely to get the blessings of rain god.
According to sources in Met Department, for many years June rainfall has been bad, but monsoon turned out normal, this year country’s monsoon rainfall during June 1-17 was at 39.5 mm, 45 percent below the normal.
Meanwhile the effort to get the blessings of Varun Devata is also underway as the Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister participated in Varun Yagna, and Andhra Pradesh Government instructed all the temples to perform special pooja and prayers to get good showers.
The delay in monsoons might force the governments to reduce the supply of water for irrigation and conserving it for drinking purposes.(ANI)
- Monsoon delayed but situation not serious: Pawar - Jul 03, 2012
- Monsoon delayed but situation not worrisome: Pawar (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Monsoon situation not serious, rain will pick up: Pawar (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Monsoon plays truant, government's fingers crossed - Jul 13, 2012
- Monsoon to reach Jharkhand one week after schedule - Jun 10, 2011
- South-West monsoon advances into Karnataka - Jun 06, 2012
- Rains in Uttar Pradesh to be late by almost a week - Jun 26, 2012
- Not enough being done to tackle drought: Experts - Jun 28, 2012
- Monsoon in Himachal delayed by over a week - Jun 28, 2012
- Monsoon hits Kerala, IMD says delay is ok (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Widespread rains in Andhra revive farmers' hopes - Jul 21, 2012
- Monsoon revives in Himachal, still 50 percent deficit - Jul 25, 2012
- Monsoon to hit Himachal on time - Jun 08, 2011
- 11 Odisha districts record deficit rain - Jul 31, 2012
- Himachal gets 46 percent less rainfall - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: agricultural crisis, andhra pradesh, blessings, chief minister, indian agriculture, irrigation, june 23, june rainfall, karnataka, livelihood, madhya pradesh, monsoon rainfall, monsoons, New Delhi, orissa, pooja, rain god, slowdown, temples, yagna