Government proposes e-passports in ordinary categoryDecember 6th, 2007 - 7:22 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Dec 6 (ANI): The Government has proposed to introduce e-passports in the ordinary category, after a pilot project for diplomats by mid-2008.
Also known as bio-metric passports, the e-passports will initially be introduced for diplomats and officials as a pilot project by the middle of 2008, Minister of State for External Affairs E. Ahamed told Rajya Sabha today.
“Based on the experience gained from this pilot project, it is proposed to start issuance of e-passports in the ordinary category,” Ahamed added.
“Incorporation of bio-metrics in the passports will make them more secure against forgeries and will also further strengthen prevention of issue of multiple passports,” he said.
The National Institute of Smart Government (NISG), Hyderabad, undertook a time-bound study on the passport issuance system, including its IT aspects with the objective to deliver passport related services to the citizens in a timely, transparent, more accessible and reliable manner.
NISG report has been accepted by the Government, Ahamed said, adding that it has been decided to launch “Passport Seva Project”.
After the implementation of the project, the passports are expected to be issued within three days, and in cases which require police verification, within three days after the completion of the verification.
The “Tatkal” passports, which are needed by applicants for their specific urgent purposes, are expected to be issued the same day, Ahamed said. (ANI)
- 'External affairs ministry's budget, staff insufficient' - May 08, 2012
- E-passport to revolutionise passport services in the country - May 27, 2010
- India to issue e-passports to citizens soon - Mar 06, 2010
- Over half a million passport applications pending - Sep 07, 2011
- India launches e-passports, president gets it first (Lead) - Jun 25, 2008
- Krishna launches Passport Seva Project in Bangalore (Lead) - May 28, 2010
- Pilot passport project to start in Bangalore Friday - May 26, 2010
- Passports to be issued in three days: Mukherjee - Jun 28, 2008
- Krishna calls for fast-tracking passport delivery - Nov 29, 2011
- A passport in three days? New project to roll out soon - Jun 07, 2011
- TCS to open 6 passport offices in October - Sep 04, 2009
- Getting a passport could soon be haslle free - Mar 07, 2010
- Passport officers' meet to kick off Tuesday - Nov 27, 2011
- Don't worry, passport office at ITO by mid-January - Dec 23, 2011
- Expedite passports for Haj pilgrims, UP urges centre - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: bio metrics, diplomats, external affairs, hyderabad, issuance system, launch, minister of state, New Delhi, passport issuance, passports, pilot project, rajya sabha, related services, seva, smart government, verification