Government installs polymer insulators to address grid disturbancesApril 21st, 2008 - 5:07 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Apr 21 (ANI): Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde told the Rajya Sabha today, that the government has started replacing conventional insulators with polymer ones to address the tripping of the Northern Electricity Grid due to fog and pollution last month.
As an immediate measure, the physical cleaning of insulators in the worst affected and most vulnerable areas has been initiated to avoid recurrence of grid disturbances, he said.
In the first phase, transmission lines in Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and neighbouring Delhi are being taken up.
The Central Electricity Authority has set up a committee to inquire into the partial grid disturbances, which occurred in the northern region on 7th and 9th March.
“The prevailing humidity level of above 90 per cent at that time being far above the critical level of 75 per cent was one of the major causes of the trippings,” he said.
The committee will submit its report in two months. (ANI)
- Andhra, south India safe from grid disturbances - Jul 31, 2012
- Foggy day in Delhi, trains disrupted (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Power crisis now trips 22 states, 600 million people hit (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Power crisis now trips 19 states, 600 million people hit (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Northern grid trips, train traffic hit (Second Lead) - Jan 02, 2010
- Centre and states agree to avert grid failure - Aug 06, 2012
- Second blackout in India hits 19 states, 600 million people (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Power trip in seven states hits millions (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Power crisis: Centre, states in blame game (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Feeling cold in the plains? Head to the hills! - Dec 25, 2011
- Power trip hits seven states, millions suffer (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- 60 percent supply restored after major power breakdown - Jul 30, 2012
- Jaypee's transmission line synchronized with Powergrid - Mar 06, 2012
- India seeks US investment in power sector - Sep 20, 2011
- Shinde calls for investment, technological cooperation from Canada in power sector - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: central electricity, critical level, electricity authority, electricity grid, fog, humidity level, insulators, neighbouring, New Delhi, pollution, polymer, power minister, rajya sabha, recurrence, sushil kumar, sushil kumar shinde, transmission lines, uttar pradesh, vulnerable areas