Government gives nod to ambitious 1,412 km road projects in north eastern StatesJanuary 9th, 2009 - 8:56 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan.9 (ANI): Home Minister P.Chidambaram today said that the Government has approved an ambitious proposal intended at improving road connectivity in Arunachal Pradesh linking all its 16 district headquarters, besides improving connectivity in Assam.
Proposed under Rs. 12,513-crore plan by the Department of Road Transport and Highways, the roads hold strategic importance to enable a better road communication to Anini and Anjaw districts bordering China.
The Cabinet Committee cleared the proposal which involved construction of 1,412 km Trans-Arunanchal Highway which would interlink its 11 district headquarters, besides construction of 847 km 2-lane roads, providing improved connectivity to the remaining five districts.
The proposal also included construction of 60 km missing link between National Highway (NH) 52 near Roing and NH 37 near Dhola, including a major bridge over river Lohit between Dhola and Sadia in Assam.
The 776-km stretches of Trans Arunachal Highway comprising major bridges will be built on build-operate- transfer basis. It would benefit all 16 districts of Arunachal Pradesh and Assams Sibsagar and Tinsukhiya districts.
The project would also facilitate and benefit several hydro power projects across hilly terrains of the state.
Besides, the Cabinet has also approved creation of a project management unit at Guwahati, headed by Additional Director General, for a better and efficient implementation of Special Accelerated Road Development Programme in the North East. (ANI)
- Government approves 1,412-km trans-Arunachal Pradesh highway - Jan 09, 2009
- Anthony promises aid to Arunachal (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Three greenfield airports in northeastern India - Jul 24, 2010
- Heavy rains in Arunachal cause floods in two Assam districts - Sep 14, 2012
- Make roads first, rail tracks later: Arunachal residents - Aug 10, 2011
- CCI approves road construction projects in Arunachal Pradesh - Mar 04, 2010
- Manmohan Singh promises priority for development of Assam, North East - Feb 19, 2011
- Plans unveiled for hassle-free travel to Ghaziabad - Mar 30, 2012
- India will develop national highway linking Bangladesh - Jun 08, 2010
- Strategic bridge in Arunachal opened - Apr 10, 2012
- Will tailor rural roads scheme for northeast: Ramesh (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Government to revamp road infrastructure in Kashmir, northeast (Lead) - Jun 30, 2009
- Rs.13,397 crore for road projects in Kashmir, northeast - Jun 30, 2009
- Railways battle to complete strategic Brahmaputra bridge by 2015 - Apr 25, 2012
- Indefinite blockade in Assam over Arunachal dam - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: anini, assam, cabinet committee, dhola, district headquarters, eastern states, guwahati, hilly terrains, home minister, hydro power projects, lane roads, management unit, missing link, nod, p chidambaram, road projects, road transport, roing, sadia, stretches