Gough jealous of English team playing in 10 million pound Stanford matchOctober 9th, 2008 - 2:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 9 (ANI): Darren Gough has admitted that he is jealous of England’’s 10 million pound Stanford match.
With the game worth around 560,000 pound a man for the winning side, the pressure on the single Twenty20 shootout between Stanford Super Stars and England will be immense.
But the recently retired Gough, a limited-overs star for club and country, believes the booty will sort out the men from the boys.
He said: “Personally, I would love to play in this game, even now, and have that pressure on my shoulders. Imagine being that guy who has to bowl that last ball with the Super Stars needing two runs to win.”
“He hasn”t just got the game resting on his shoulders, he’’s got half a million quid riding on it for himself and his team-mates. And then there’’s money for the coaching staff and other squad members,” The Sun quoted Gough, as saying.
“People at home should be glued to it. I certainly will be, just to see how certain people in the team react to that pressure,” he added.
Having bowed out of first-class cricket at the end of the season, the Barnsley-born speedster has been approached by representatives of the Indian Premier League.
The big-money tournament is desperate to sign English talent, with only Hampshire skipper Dimi Mascarenhas featuring last season.
Kevin Pietersen and his England teammates only have a 10-day window to play in the IPL next summer, something Gough could benefit from. (ANI)
- 'Busy' Darren Gough turns down Cameron's request to stand as Conservative MP - Feb 10, 2011
- Chelsea eye Torres swap deal - Feb 17, 2012
- Former UK MP jailed for role in expenses scandal - Feb 11, 2011
- Trinidad and Tobago still in with a chance: Ramdin - Sep 30, 2011
- After Pietersen, Mascarenhas involved in Twitter rant against ECB - Sep 06, 2010
- Kaneria in match-fixing scandal, Essex police to question leggie (Lead) - Apr 10, 2010
- Warne calls off charity England-Oz greats Twenty20 flood relief match - Jan 20, 2011
- Kamran's replacement Salman aims to justify his selection in Pak team for Windies tour - Apr 08, 2011
- Man City, Chelsea eye Seville striker Fabiano - Feb 17, 2010
- Indian man faces deportation from Britain - Mar 09, 2012
- Bowlers standing tall in IPL - May 03, 2012
- 'Batman' star Michael Gough dies aged 94 - Mar 18, 2011
- New captains will bring fresh ideas in IPL-4 - Apr 07, 2011
- Its Chiefs vs. Patriots tonight - Nov 21, 2011
- Wes Welker sad after Super Bowl loss - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: 10 million, booty, class cricket, darren gough, dimi, game worth, half a million, kevin pietersen, match, money tournament, premier league, shoulders, skipper, speedster, squad members, stanford, summer something, team mates, teammates, winning side