Gordon Brown leaves VIPs in stitches with Mandela, Winehouse storyOctober 23rd, 2008 - 6:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 23 (ANI): PM Gordon Brown revealed his humorous side to VIPs at 10 Downing street with his story about how he had to explain to Nelson Mandela who Amy Winehouse was.
Winehouse, 25, whose husband Blake Fielder-Civil is doing time, performed at Mandelas 90th birthday bash, and Brown had to explain to the anti-apartheid activist why she was singing free Blakey my fella.
The Rehab singer was singing the world-famous Free Nelson Mandela anthem at the televised event when she substituted her own chorus, and Brown recounted the story to the 100 members of campaign group The Peace Alliance.
As he looked at the concert I had this responsibility of explaining to him, as she came on stage, who Amy Winehouse was, the Sun quoted him as saying.
And so I was, um, it took a bit of time to tell the full story.
Then Amy Winehouse was saying to her friends, You know, Nelson Mandela and my husband have a great deal in common both of them have spent a great deal of time in prison. And then when people were singing at the end that great song, Free Nelson Mandela, she was actually singing, Free Blakey My Fella, he added.
On hearing the last line especially, the guests at the No. 10 meeting burst out laughing.
The Prime Minister was on top form, a guest said.
The room was in stitches when he told us the story. It was lovely to see another side of him and goes to show he has a great sense of humour, the guest added. (ANI)
- Amy Winehouse Contributes Song In Quincy Jones Tribute Album - Sep 12, 2010
- Winehouse's unheard album to be released - Nov 01, 2011
- Winehouse bought crack cocaine before death, says peddler - Aug 01, 2011
- Mandela makes recording debut spoken-word vocal in song composed in his honour - Feb 12, 2011
- Winehouse's ex-hubby collapses on hearing of her death - Jul 25, 2011
- Free Blakey my fella: Winehouse tells full house at Mandela gig - Jun 28, 2008
- Reg Traviss devastated after Winehouse's death - Aug 08, 2011
- The real reason behind Amy Winehouse-Blake Fielder-Civil meeting - Dec 13, 2009
- Amy Winehouse features in the Quincy Jones tribute album - Sep 12, 2010
- Mandela gets an emotional welcome at Soccer City stadium - Jul 12, 2010
- Winehouse didn't like singing her hit songs - Jun 28, 2012
- Blake Fielder-Civil planning book on Winheouse ? - Aug 11, 2011
- Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital - Jan 27, 2011
- Millions of South African students greet Mandela on birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- Winehouse's earliest song lyrics found in a stash of dumped school books - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: 10 downing street, 90th birthday, activist, amy winehouse, anthem, apartheid, birthday bash, blake fielder civil, blakey, campaign group, doing time, downing street, fella, free nelson mandela, gordon brown, humorous side, nelson mandela, peace alliance, sense of humour, stitches