Godhra case: Quantum of punishment to be announced todayMarch 1st, 2011 - 11:38 am ICT by ANI
Ahmedabad, Mar 1 (ANI): A special court in Ahmedabad is likely to announce the quantum of sentence in the 2002 Godhra train burning case.
The Court, on February 22, convicted 31 and acquitted 63 others, including the prime conspirator Maulvi Hussain Umarji
The court accepted the prosecution’s contention that there was a conspiracy behind the incident.
Apart from the charges of murder, attempt to murder and criminal conspiracy, the accused were convicted under IPC sections 147, 148 (rioting with deadly weapons), 323, 324, 325, 326 (causing hurt), 153A (promoting enmity between different groups on religious grounds), various sections of the Indian Railways Act, Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act and Bombay Police Act.
The Court pronounced judgment on the role of over 90 people accused of conspiring and burning the S-6 coach of the Sabarmati Express on February 27, 2002. Fifty-nine people, mostly Kar Sewaks returning from Ayodhya, were killed in the incident.
Following the incident, widespread communal riots broke out in various parts of Gujaratin which over 1,000 people, mostly from the minority community, were killed. (ANI)
- Godhra case: Death sentence for 11, life terms for 20 - Mar 01, 2011
- Godhra train burning judgement does not justify riots: Moily - Mar 01, 2011
- Godhra case: Court to decide quantum of sentence today - Feb 25, 2011
- Top cop says Gujarat CM Modi involved in Godhra case - Apr 22, 2011
- Justice Nanavati Commission summons top Gujarat cop Bhatt - Apr 27, 2011
- Godhra train carnage: 31 convicted, 63 acquitted (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Godhra verdict: Ahmedabad court convicts 31, acquits 63 (Second Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Godhra verdict: Sections under which 31 were convicted - Feb 22, 2011
- Godhra verdict: 31 convicted, 63 acquitted - Feb 22, 2011
- BJP hails Godhra verdict - Feb 22, 2011
- Death sought for Godhra train burning convicts (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Godhra case should be re-investigated: Prashant Bhushan - Mar 01, 2011
- Gujarat court to pronounce verdict on Godhra accused on March 1 - Feb 25, 2011
- Godhra train carnage: Hearing put off for two months - Apr 06, 2011
- Godhra train carnage sentencing March 1 (Second Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: bombay, communal riots, conspirator, contention, criminal conspiracy, deadly weapons, enmity, february 22, hussain, indian railways, ipc, judgment, minority community, murder attempt, police act, property act, prosecution, quantum, religious grounds, sabarmati express