Goat sales decline in Srinagar ahead of Eid-al AdhaNovember 16th, 2010 - 10:29 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Nov.16 (ANI): Ahead of the Muslim festival of Eid-al Adha, the goat sales have declined here due to the ongoing unrest in the Kashmir Valley.
Eid-al Adha, which will be celebrated tomorrow, is an important festival in the Muslim calendar.
As per the traders, goat sales have declined as compared to the last year.
“This year the sale is not good because people don’t have money to buy goats. People say that because of the curfew they could not go for work. So, we are facing a lot of problems as our sale has been affected,” said Latif Ahmad, a trader.
Traders said that last year the goats were sold at rupees 130 to 140 per kilogram, but this year the prices have declined to rupees 100 to 110 per kilogram.
“People say that this year they will celebrate Eid in a simple manner because of the unrest that has prevailed in the valley in the past five-six months. So, the price of goats have declined this year,” said Ghulam Mohammad, another trader.
The festival remembers Ibrahim’s willingness to sacrifice his own son when god ordered him to do so.
Muslims all over the world sacrifice a sheep or a goat as a reminder of that event. (ANI)
- Goats costly ahead of "Eid-ul-Adha" - Nov 14, 2010
- Amid rain, Kashmiris hit shopping high for Eid - Nov 05, 2011
- Kashmir markets abuzz with shoppers for the Eid festival - Nov 27, 2009
- Livestock sellers earn huge profits in Kashmir ahead of Eid festival - Nov 26, 2009
- Eid brings back smiles to Kashmiri faces - Nov 15, 2010
- Jama Masjid packed on Eid, spirit of sacrifice reigns - Nov 07, 2011
- Delhi's star goat this Eid costs Rs.1.5 lakh - Nov 06, 2011
- Delhi's 'divine' goat costs Rs.4.5 lakh - Nov 16, 2010
- Unrest brings dip in Kashmir's pickle business - Aug 20, 2010
- Prayers mark Eid in India, but clashes in Kashmir (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- Mutton becomes bone of contention in Kashmir - Apr 20, 2011
- Pakistan celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha - Nov 07, 2011
- Mumbai celebrates spirit of sacrifice on Eid - Nov 07, 2011
- Celebrating Eid-ul-Azha with prayers - and a 180 kg goat! - Nov 17, 2010
- Muslims celebrate Eid Al Adha today - Nov 28, 2009
Tags: ahmad, curfew, decline, eid, eid al adha, ghulam mohammad, goat sales, goats, kashmir, kashmir valley, kilogram, latif, muslim calendar, muslim festival, muslims, rupees, sheep, srinagar, unrest, willingness