Goa protests for removal of grounded shipJanuary 26th, 2009 - 6:46 pm ICT by ANI
Panaji (Goa), Jan 26, (ANI): Agnelo Fernandes, Goas Congress legislator, was arrested on Monday along with 200 other supporters for taking out a march demanding the removal of a grounded cango ship.
The cargo ship had run aground in north Goas candolim shore in June 2000.
River Princess Hatao Manch, a non-governmental organization (NGO), has been agitating in the state demanding removal of the ship, which could cause ecological disaster due to high erosion of sand.
Protesters were arrested at Panaji”’’s Ferry Wharf, almost two kilometer away from the Republic Day function venue, when they were walking with placards in hand.
According to the sub-divisional Magistrate, Sabhaji Shetye, protesters were arrested to avoid possible problems during the Republic Day parade.
Agnelo Fernandes was arrested under 151 of CrPC as they had no permission to hold a march in the city, Shetye added.
Fernandes said, We would have sat peacefully at the parade with placards in hand. This was a peaceful silent protest.
The Republic Day function meanwhile was attended by the Governor S.S. Sidhu, Goas chief minister Digambar Kamat and other distinguished persons. (ANI)
- Court asks Goa to remove beached vessel by next monsoon - Sep 08, 2010
- Protesters arrested for demanding removal of ship beached in Goa - Jan 26, 2009
- Congress has a ship of a problem in North Goa - Mar 15, 2009
- Cargo vessel runs aground, being towed away - Jun 04, 2011
- Lara-Mahesh wedding: Time to highlight Goa's disappeared beach - Feb 18, 2011
- Goa should look beyond beaches for tourism: Governor - Jan 26, 2011
- Court case blocks beached ship's removal, says Goa government - Jan 27, 2009
- Goa court issues notice to governor's aide - Nov 25, 2010
- No permission for Sunburn Goa musical festival yet (Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
- Not enough being done to curb drug trade in Goa: Panel - Jul 26, 2010
- Bodies of two tribals found in gutted Goa store - May 26, 2011
- Two fishermen drown near beached ship - Aug 15, 2010
- Goa trying to strengthen coastal security: Governor - Jan 26, 2010
- Beached ship used as transit point for drugs: Goa opposition - Jul 27, 2009
- Erosion threatens Goa's beaches, says minister - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: candolim, cargo ship, chief minister, crpc, ecological disaster, erosion, ferry wharf, function venue, goa, kamat, legislator, magistrate, ngo, non governmental organization, placards, princess, protesters, protests, republic day, silent protest