GJM chief to meet Chidambaram on Gorkhaland issueApril 9th, 2010 - 1:56 pm ICT by ANI
Bagdogra (West Bengal), Apr 9 (ANI): The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) chief, Bimal Gurung, is scheduled to meet Union Home Minister, P. Chidambaram here today.
Gurung, who is leading the party for the first time, arrived here along with party General Secretary Roshan Giri and leaders Harka Bahadur Chhetri, Amar Lama and Amar Rai
Gurung’s visit is significant as he has chosen to stay away from the ongoing tripartite talks to resolve the political impasse in the Darjeeling hills arising from the GJM’s demand for a “Gorkhaland” State.
Five rounds of discussions have so far been held.
The Gorkhas have been demanding a separate state, to be carved out of West Bengal, to protect their culture and heritage.
The Gorkha population in West Bengal is estimated to be around a million. (ANI)
- GJM announces agitation, calls for burning GTA agreement - Jun 10, 2012
- Gorkhaland team meets Bengal governor - Aug 22, 2012
- Darjeeling Gorkhas hope hill council will get a nod - Mar 03, 2012
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Darjeeling issue solved, says Mamata after talks with GJM (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- GJM candidates only ones in fray in about half of GTA seats - Jul 12, 2012
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Darjeeling issue solved, says Mamata; GJM maintains Gorkhaland demand (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Angry protests greet Gurung, Tamang's brother quits GJM (Lead) - May 26, 2010
- Ahead of meet with GJM, Mamata rejects Bengal's division (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Gorkha group to meet Mamata for honouring accord - Feb 10, 2012
- All CPI-M candidates pull out of Gorkhaland polls - Jul 12, 2012
- Telangana, Darjeeling should be viewed differently: GJM - Oct 11, 2011
- Mamata blames centre for delay on Gorkha autonomy (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Angry demonstrators block GJM chief Gurung's convoy - May 25, 2010