German Chancellor Merkel calls on President Pratibha PatilNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:06 am ICT by admin
Earlier today, along with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Merkel flagged off “Science Express”, a special exhibition mounted on a train at Safdarjung Railway Station.
The exhibition is the result of a partnership in science and technology between India and Germany
Felicitating the scientists and engineers involved in the project, Merkel, herself a researcher, said, “This train will create a strong movement in the talented youth of India towards research in science.”
Speaking to the media after receiving a ceremonial reception at the Rashtrapati Bhavan, Merkel said the visit would boost economic, scientific and strategic partnership between India and Germany.
“I hope that my visit will be giving a contribution to further enhancing the very strong relationship between India and Germany. It will enhance strategic partnership in political field as well as in science and technology,” said Merkel.
Merkel also visited Mahatma Gandhi’s memorial at Rajghat, to offer flowers.
Boosting ties in newer areas such as environmental technology and software as well as machinery, electrical engineering and chemicals will be in focus during her visit.
Business leaders are accompanying Merkel on her three-day visit to New Delhi and Mumbai.
Among the 30 executives on the trip are senior executives from European planemaker Airbus, conglomerate Siemens, rail operator Deutsche Bahn andeinsurer Munich Re.
Merkel, under fire from some business leaders for emphasising human rights at the expense of business in her relations with Russia and China, is also meeting ethnic minority groups and non-governmental organisations. (ANI)
- No trust deficit between India, Germany on high technology transfer: Merkel - Dec 12, 2010
- China seeks closer ties with Germany - Feb 03, 2012
- First Indo-German strategic dialogue during Merkel visit - May 27, 2011
- India visit will boost bilateral ties: Angela Merkel - Nov 14, 2007
- India, Bahrain seek trade boost - Jun 01, 2012
- India, UAE to hold talks, sign pacts Monday - Jun 25, 2011
- India, Germany set ambitious trade target - Dec 12, 2010
- India, Germany to discuss IMF reforms, defence deal - May 30, 2011
- Keen to strengthen partnership with Germany: Manmohan Singh - May 31, 2011
- Dubai Chamber of Commerce hosts Indian president - Nov 26, 2010
- German Defence Minister meets Manmohan Singh - Feb 10, 2011
- Pakistan should know that terrorism is not a means to an end: Merkel - Dec 12, 2010
- India to host Year of Germany in 2011 to mark 60th anniversary of diplomatic ties - Dec 12, 2010
- Russian President to arrive in New Delhi on Tuesday morning - Dec 20, 2010
- India signs pacts with Croatia on healthcare, cultural exchange - Jun 10, 2010
Tags: airbus, business leaders, deutsche bahn, exhibition, german chancellor, germany, India, mahatma gandhi, maulana azad road, merkel, political field, pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan singh, rail operator, rashtrapati bhavan, science and technology, science express, strategic partnership, talented youth, vice president