Geelani slams Farooq for stance on liquor shopsDecember 7th, 2011 - 3:22 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 7 (IANS) Hardline senior separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani Wednesday sought a ‘fatwa’ against union minister and ruling National Conference (NC) president Farooq Abdullah for advocating reopening of liquor shops in the Kashmir Valley.
Geelani, who chaired an advisory committee meeting of his faction of the Hurriyat Conference Tuesday, said in a statement: “Islam declares liquor as the mother of all evils and orders punishment against those who consume it.”
“Advocating the opening of liquor shops in Muslim majority state speaks of the mental apostasy of Dr. Farooq who despite his old age retains his mischievous character,” he said in the statement Wednesday.
He also contested Farooq Abdullah’s claim that the opening of liquor shops would help the tourist industry in the Valley.
The local Jamaat-e-Islami has also criticized Farooq Abdullah for his statement Monday advocating the opening of liquor shops and cinema halls in the Valley, both of which had been closed in the beginning of 1990 following the outbreak of armed violence.
“Whether it is a liquor shop or the cinema hall, both are sources of propagation of obscenity, immorality and imprudence,” the Jamaat said in a statement.
- Kashmiri religious group issues dress code for tourists - Jul 04, 2012
- Farooq favours re-opening of cinemas, liquor shops - Dec 05, 2011
- Omar Abdullah rules out subsidy for reopening cinemas - Dec 17, 2011
- Life returns to normal for a day in Kashmir Valley - Aug 27, 2010
- No art and culture without cinema, says Kashmiri filmmaker - Dec 29, 2011
- Amid curfew and agony, Indian leaders meet Kashmir separatists (Roundup) - Sep 20, 2010
- Geelani making false claims of detention to create unrest in Valley: Omar Abdullah - Feb 23, 2011
- Shutdown in Kashmir to protest curbs on Geelani in Delhi - Feb 22, 2011
- Who killed Maulana Shaukat Ahmed and why? - Apr 10, 2011
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Separatists flay Fai arrest, locals don't care - Jul 21, 2011
- Maulana who opposed stone-pelting - and died for it - Apr 08, 2011
- 'Free Kashmir' will allow liquor consumption: Geelani (Roundup) - Oct 22, 2010
- Omar again asks BJP to abandon Kashmir yatra - Jan 14, 2011
- Kashmir Congress slams ally NC over leader's remarks - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: apostasy, cinema hall, cinema halls, committee meeting, evils, faction, farooq abdullah, fatwa, hurriyat conference, immorality, jamaat e islami, kashmir, kashmir valley, liquor shop, liquor shops, muslim majority, obscenity, separatist leader, tourist industry, union minister