Geelani, Shabir Shah placed under house arrestJuly 29th, 2011 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 29 (IANS) Two senior separatist leaders, Syed Ali Geelani and Shabir Shah, were Friday placed under house arrest in Jammu nad Kashmir’s summer capital Srinagar.
“It has been our experience that whenever Geelani sahib addresses a Friday prayer congregation, he invariably prompts youth to violence. Nobody would be allowed to disturb and unsettle the prevailing peace in the valley,” a police officer said here.
Geelani has been placed under house arrest in his uptown Hyderpora residence in Srinagar city and Shabir Shah of the Democratic Freedom Party at his Sant Nagar residence here.
However, senior separatist leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, chairman of the moderate Hurriyat group, is free to move about, police said.
Recently, Geelani and Farooq had been invited to the Pakistan High Commission to interact with Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar.
The Indian foreign office took strong exception to the invitation and asked the Pakistan foreign office to discontinue the practice.
- Kashmiri separatist leaders to meet Pakistan foreign minister - Jul 21, 2011
- Mirwaiz under house arrest in Kashmir - Jun 03, 2011
- Kashmir participation must in India-Pakistan dialogue: Geelani - Jul 26, 2011
- Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest - May 27, 2011
- Separatist leaders under house arrest in Srinagar - Aug 02, 2011
- Kashmiri separatists to meet Khar in Delhi - Jul 26, 2011
- Kashmir must join India-Pakistan dialogue: Separatists (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Clash at Hurriyat seminar in Kashmir - May 20, 2012
- Separatist leaders under house arrest, restrictions in Srinagar - Jul 13, 2012
- Restrictions in Srinagar to foil separatist march - Jul 13, 2011
- Restrictions affect life in Srinagar on martyrs' day - Jul 13, 2011
- Paswan to call on Geelani - Sep 21, 2010
- Kashmiri separatist leaders still under house arrest - Aug 06, 2011
- Ready to talk to New Delhi: Mirwaiz - Jul 25, 2011
- Normalcy slowly returning to Srinagar - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: ali, democratic freedom, foreign minister, foreign office, freedom party, hina, house arrest, hurriyat, invitation, jammu, kashmir, pakistan high commission, peace in the valley, police officer, rabbani, sahib, sant nagar, separatist leader, separatist leaders, shabir shah